Happy New Metallica Song Day

Huh, that actually sounds like Metallica.. Not exactly breaking any new ground, but still

I thought it was ok. The main riff's ending was reminiscent of the Ghost song "Mummy dust".
I really am not digging the guitar tones...they aren't nearly as tight as they once were, probably because they aren't playing Boogies any more (that I know of).
The vocal production IMO is lacking. Not enough depth. It's too out front. It needs to be more like the MOP days, again in my opinion.
And lastly, is it just me or is Kirk Hammett becoming a worse guitar player as time passes? He seems so uninspired. It's the same wah drenched pseudo-blooze licks.

I thought it was ok. The main riff's ending was reminiscent of the Ghost song "Mummy dust".
I really am not digging the guitar tones...they aren't nearly as tight as they once were, probably because they aren't playing Boogies any more (that I know of).
The vocal production IMO is lacking. Not enough depth. It's too out front. It needs to be more like the MOP days, again in my opinion.
And lastly, is it just me or is Kirk Hammett becoming a worse guitar player as time passes? He seems so uninspired. It's the same wah drenched pseudo-blooze licks.

I'm with you on this. I'm not feeling the love for the new material. Sure it sounds more like old Metallica, but that's about 25 years too late, and I'm too far removed to care anymore.

I'm with you on this. I'm not feeling the love for the new material. Sure it sounds more like old Metallica, but that's about 25 years too late, and I'm too far removed to care anymore.

This. They made rubbish for 20 years, so much so that anything sounding like old metallica is regarded as brilliant.

It's dull, derivative and completely outdated. They will still sell a fuckload of them

It sounds better than the previous few albums but it also sounds lifeless. It does NOT sound like old Metallica to me. And it certainly doesn't grab me the way old Metallica still does. Part of that might be my own bias against anything new they put out... but this tune and the last one that came out recently do nothing for me. And I wish they did.

I tried.

Mind, the song itself is far from the worst stuff they've done post 1990, but fucking hell...if they'd only have a decent drummer and lead guitarist.
The 2 have completely lost whatever it was they once had.
That "solo" Kirk attempted there is some of the worst crap I've heard in ages, most teenagers could do that better. Seriously.

I don't get the hate. I'm far from a Metallicahead but I was there for the first time, boght Creeping Death on vinyl in 1983, the last album of theirs I bought was "and Justice for all" . Their two new songs sound good. metallica do what they do better than the other crap like this. I also don't get the Lars sucks stuff, He sounds fine, kirk sounds fine :shrug:

I don't get the hate. I'm far from a Metallicahead but I was there for the first time, boght Creeping Death on vinyl in 1983, the last album of theirs I bought was "and Justice for all" . Their two new songs sound good. metallica do what they do better than the other crap like this. I also don't get the Lars sucks stuff, He sounds fine, kirk sounds fine :shrug:

Opinions are like Metallica basslines and new songs. Some are good but you can't hear them, some are crap and should not be heard.

Regarding the Lars stuff, I can guarantee that his drumming has been heavily edited (something they've done since at least the early 90s, and possibly before that). Live, he's deteriorated BADLY ever since the mid 90s. Quite possibly the worst drummer (of a major band) I've ever seen live.

Anyone can sound decent to good on a record.
Obviously doesn't help that Lars is a really loudmouthed, smug and arrogant cunt either, but that's not my real problem with him to be fair.
He's just gone from an ok drummer to a really poor one who can't even keep time.

For the record, I was a fan of theirs once. Then the Load/Reload crap happened, and since then pretty much everything they've done has been shite.
Imo of course. :wink:

Here's my take on Lars....I always thought he was a really good drummer too....until I heard that the studio engineers have to cut and paste his drum parts together because he can't play in time.
As far as Kirk goes, like I said earlier, he is uninspired. We are talking about a guy that took lessons from Satriani. Clearly at one point in his career he had a burning desire to accumulate knowledge/technique.
Don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for a more minimalist approach. You certainly don't need to play 16th notes for the entire solo. But I just feel like he isn't even trying anymore. Listen to the solos on Master of Puppets....all of them are fantastic compositions. His current work pales in comparison. IMO of course.

Believe me I want to LOVE this stuff more than I can express. Metallica were a huge influence on me....but I'm just not feeling the new stuff. It doesn't move me.

Personally, I though Lars kicked some major ass on this song. Some the best Metallica drumming I've heard in years. Kirk sounded like signature Kirk and that fits the song perfectly. The only thing I would like would be the chunky bass of Jason Newsted but he's off playing country acoustic gigs at the moment.

people love to hate on them.

I like this new song. if anyone here can write riffs like james and play them live while singing raise your hand. dude is a beast.

It all just sounds dated to me: thrash riffs that would not even be original 25 years ago, lyrics bordering on childish and full of clichees (James used to be such a good lyricist). Subpar drumming and boring solos.

I just doesn't do much for me. But that's ok, plenty of other metal that does appeal to me.

Compare that to Iron Maiden; to me a band that have managed to stay relevant and fresh, and have also remained humble and grounded musicians.

Metallica became rock stars.

Personally, If I want a nostalgia trip down thrash metal lane, I'd rather listen to old thrash records or recent 'old school' thrash like Testament, Death Angel, Voivod, Vektor, Kreator etc.

Here's my take on Lars....I always thought he was a really good drummer too....until I heard that the studio engineers have to cut and paste his drum parts together because he can't play in time.
As far as Kirk goes, like I said earlier, he is uninspired. We are talking about a guy that took lessons from Satriani. Clearly at one point in his career he had a burning desire to accumulate knowledge/technique.
Don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for a more minimalist approach. You certainly don't need to play 16th notes for the entire solo. But I just feel like he isn't even trying anymore. Listen to the solos on Master of Puppets....all of them are fantastic compositions. His current work pales in comparison. IMO of course.

Believe me I want to LOVE this stuff more than I can express. Metallica were a huge influence on me....but I'm just not feeling the new stuff. It doesn't move me.
i never said I thought he was a great drummer, i just think he sounds fine in context of the band....for their sound. For guys in their 50's playing the music they play, just the stamina to keep it up is pretty impressive and really here is hardwired live...no cut and paste here and to my ears I don't hear anything wrong...they are nailing it and lars sounds very good.

Back