Happy Borrowed Mandolin Day!

Thanks!

And what kind is that first one?

A-Style

Ventura Mandolin - S.jpg

I am sure most mando players do, I know I do but the cost of a good one isn't worth it for me. I am happy with my Ovation USA Mando and besides I have the cardinal sin anyway, a pickup built into the Mando.
If I get another mando, it will be the bouzouki/octave mandolin.

I did a bit of googling out of curiosity, and I am going to guess it is an old Kay with an aftermarket tailpiece. The tailpiece is identical to one from stew-mac, and Kay had similar headstock shape and pickguard attachment.idn_smilie

On guitar, I know a couple bluegrass tunes. Billy in the Low Ground, and Red Haired Boy. Flat picking single note style. Will have to see if I can figure out the Mando versions.

I know nothing. I go to the bluegrass jam and they tell me the key. Most songs are I-IV-V and if not, a lead sheet. I just jam away with everyone.

Well, shoot. Unfortunately, I figured out after playing around with it some more, that it has a low spot in the neck on the E side between 13 and 15 frets or so. It sounds the same notes for about 3 or 4 frets there, then starts sounding individual notes again after that. Pretty much just on the E string. Though the action seems quite high (though I don't know what is normal for mandolins) overall up there. I can fix the action with the new nut and some adjustment at the bridge, once I figure out how to adjust that bridge, but not sure that I can fix that low spot in a cost effective way. I don't see any neck adjustment any where, and it would seem to be more some sort of twist or something anyway.

I might have a local guitar fix it guy take a look to see if anything can be done, just to see. But it does not seem like it is worth putting any real money into, though I don't mind some adjustment, strings and a new nut.

@Modern Saint , @Gary Blanchard

Back