Happy Birthday Mark!

Thanks for hosting this awesome forum. After Guitar Jam died, this filled the Guitar Jam shaped hole in my heart.

Also, how do you keep track of where you are on a 9 string. One of my students has an 8 string and I feel completely lost on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, how do you keep track of where you are on a 9 string. One of my students has an 8 string and I feel completely lost on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a little disorienting at first. I try to picture myself playing bass when in the low end, and that helps a lot. The hardest thing for me is that I've got it tuned a whole step low, but the fret markers are shifted up two frets to compensate. I didn't realize how much I gauge where the 5th-7th frets are from the visual of the nut, and not from actually counting.

It is a little disorienting at first. I try to picture myself playing bass when in the low end, and that helps a lot. The hardest thing for me is that I've got it tuned a whole step low, but the fret markers are shifted up two frets to compensate. I didn't realize how much I gauge where the 5th-7th frets are from the visual of the nut, and not from actually counting.
The worst experience for me was @baimun bringing a fanned fret acoustic guitar to Pragestock the year I went. It was like I didn't know how to play at all with it in my hands.

The worst experience for me was @baimun bringing a fanned fret acoustic guitar to Pragestock the year I went. It was like I didn't know how to play at all with it in my hands.

I have a fanned fret 8-string acoustic...

Although the fanned fret thing has never fazed me. I hardly even notice it.

I have a fanned fret 8-string acoustic...

Although the fanned fret thing has never fazed me. I hardly even notice it.
I think a loy of it is that I spend all of my time on 6 string. I'm just now leaving a guitar in open E for slide playing so I'm just getting use to changing tunings on a regular basis much less extra strings or fanned frets.

Back