Hamer is back??? !!!

The thing is, though, that you can find a used MIK one of those for 3 bills...just sayin' :shrug:

I remember way back when they Hamer MIK line came out, how all the Hamer fanboys were saying what crap they were...funny how things change over time :wink:

Most of the MIK Hamers I've bought were $150 or less. Had to cough up $200 for this.

standard.jpg

This took 29 posts to happen?

Maybe they're as good as the old Hamers, maybe not. I'll be looking for reviews, and guitars in stores.

What you meant to say is that maybe they're as good as the MIK Hamer imports.

Because no way a factory-made import could compare to "old Hamers," which were made in a small shop in the US.

So, I was at Sweetwater today and they had 2 of the new Hamers on the wall in their store. One of the black Archtops (24.75" scale) and one of the red Archtops w/tremolo unit (25 1/2" scale).

I tried out the black one, and right away I noticed it was very light weight, and that made it sound pretty decent unplugged. I was trying out the Boss Katana 100 1x12" combo, and it sounded pretty decent thru that amp, though some of the other guitars I tried thru the amp maybe sounded a bit more pleasing to my ear. Nothing bad by any means, but just not quite as good, if you follow me.

Fretwork on the guitar was very good, fit and finish were very good as well, action was pretty low and no fret-outs on bending anywhere on the neck. Remember these are almost a 16" radius, so you can lower the string a bit farther and not fret out on a bend.

The bad: The guitar would not stay in tune. It probably needed an intonation setup, but every time I tuned the guitar up and hit a couple of chords, bent some notes, etc. it was horribly out of tune. I didn't hear any pinging whilst tuning it, so not sure if it was the nut or not.

I would say that one could probably find a very nice one if you played a bunch of them (kinda like a Gibson) but I'm not sure I'd want to buy one sight unseen without playing it first to determine if it was indeed a 'good one'.

The Yamaha Revstars, on the other hand, based on the 3 I played there today and the one I played last year at Sweetwater's Gearfest, I'd buy one of those sight unseen. All 4 were excellent guitars.

Last edited:
Back