Guitars...they're fun to talk about, look at, GAS over etc...but...

I'''ve heard several of your vids & really enjoy your work.
You remind me a lot of my teacher, stylistically.

Thanks!

Good stuff Mark!! It has kind of a hard driving jam band oriented vibe to it, without being too laid back!! :thu: I can understand the lyrics dilemma. That's my problem with writing originals. I have tons of music ideas, riffs, and even embryonic songs, but the lyrics. :facepalm: Two words that readily come to mind, when I think of my lyrics, are cliched, and/or whiney. :facepalm::facepalm:

In my late 20's/early 30's I wrote constantly...thats where the "Desert Center" album comes from. In recent years I just haven't put the time into it and barely play original music anymore so I'm trying to get back to what I love about making music (not that I hate the other cover and blues gigs that I do but this is really where I started) but it's been difficult getting the motor going effectively. Sad Navigator has been writing a cool blog on lyric writing that I've been following and it helps a bit: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/blog.php?224

hey guys check this out. I'm way into western swing right now and this is from a gig in solana beach at the belly up. Anyway the tune is a swing standard. let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys check this out. I'm way into western swing right now and this is from a gig in solana beach at the belly up. Anyway the tune is a swing standard. let me know what you think.

Rhythm player's wet dream right there!
You've got a real tight group!
I've been getting into Count Basie & some of the other '40s swing bands recently.

tippin in

since you guys were kind to me check this one out from st. patty's day in san diego.

Oh, I read this as what musical things are we doing this weekend. :facepalm:

Well, I teach guitar, bass, and drums, for a living so I'm always playing music, but I haven't been doing much of my own thing. These days I spend more time doing the technical aspects like trying to keep my chops in line or spending time improving my skills as a recording engineer. I have hundreds of songs ready to record and finish but I don't feel like I'm ready to take them on and release them. :shrug:

OHHH, what i wouldn't give to play stuff like that. With owning a house, tinkering with guitars,, building cars on the side for my play money, my time is limited to play and really sit down and learn new things---you know, can't teach an old dog new tricks, LOL. But i sure love to play just the best i can and if you like it fine,, if not just say so and STFU and let me continue on. I am by far not the best player and i really only play covers for the most part, but i like it and thats all that matters.

Ellen, i hear you on the bandless situation. I am not going to say i haven't tried some either. They just didn't work out and its hard to find people to click with. I have found and tried out for a few off craigslist, as i have no other connections either. I frankly havent played with a band since i was in high school 20 years ago. The best i have now is a former co-worker (drummer) and his friend (guitar/bass) that lives a couple hours away. When he visits, we get together and play for 5-6 hours and it works great. But life is too much for any of us to get into something full time after working hours.

OK, enough yapping, time for me to turn away from the computer and go play!!!

I've been playing in original bands since I was 15 (18 years now :facepalm:). I've never gotten really good at the instrument, but I can write a decent song and I'm fairly creative with my parts. I'm a much stronger rhythm player than lead. I also play the drums, hand percussion, harmonica, and a little mandolin. My next undertaking is lap steel.

I've played in a bunch of different genres, all original with just a few covers here and there. Never tried jazz or classical though.

My last band could best be described as indie rock. We broke up a little over a year ago now. My wife and I just had our first baby last year, so I haven't been in a big hurry to get into another band that will take a lot of my time. I've been working on learning some Irish folk songs to possibly do a duo thing with a buddy of mine, and also just started working on some covers to jam on with my old rhythm section and this singer/songwriter guy. So that might turn into something, we'll see.

Here's my old band's myspace: The Analog Reception

I play guitar with a Johnny Cash tribute band that plays in the Nashville and Knoxville areas. We've been gigging for about 3 years. I enjoy playing country, but I strongly prefer rock.

I also play guitar for a 90's cover band that is still in the jam room. We have about 30 tunes down and hope to start gigging this summer.

VERY cool!! Your playing has sort of a Junior Barnard vibe to it! BTW, it looks like you're playing the single pickup version of an ES-175, but I can't tell if it has the stock humbucker, a P90, or a Charlie Christian pickup in it.

I make bedroom indie songs and occasionally play out. I'm in school and I work, so time is scarce. I've got a couple ideas burbling and will probably get after them once the semester is over.

Back