Guitars are boring.

I like playing guitar. A lot. I'm having a really tough time getting excited about any piece of gear though. Its all the same shit. Or it is stuff that is too expensive for me to own.

Oh well. Back to practicing.
It's been that way for a few years. I feel like 15 years ago there was lots of cool shit coming out, even if it was oddball colors and finishes. Now we've returned to the same old stuff from 20 years ago and Gibson trying to be Apple and tell us what we like instead of listening to what we like.

I can dig what your saying.

But, for the most part it's what you make of it.
I do miss the earlier days when locking trems were new.
There was an excitement about what could be done.

Nowadays, it's more about refinement and details.

I GAS so much for stuff that it's become a wholly separate entity from my enjoyment of playing. It's become the chase for the best deal, bargain hunting, selling to "trade up," etc. Frankly, it's like a compulsion (is a compulsion), and has little to do with actually making music. This isn't to say that I don't love, use, and enjoy what I have, but the processes of acquiring gear and playing what I have occupy different areas of my brain. If I did more of the latter and less of the former, I'd be an infinitely better player, and ultimately happier I'm sure. I'm a hack player (as some of you will soon find out firsthand) and have exceptional gear, and I don't need anything else. But I still check Reverb every day...

I deleted the Reverb app off my phone. It was getting too crazy.

Gear prices seem to be generally insane these days. The interesting stuff is really priced up - not sure if it's because the seller had previously bought high and is now trying to recoup or they are all trying to find that rare uneducated sucker with money (kind of like buying a lotto ticket).

Another thing that's getting tired is all the variations on a Gibson and fender theme. Very hard to get excited aesthetically about the same shapes (sometimes with subtle changes).

My visions of rooms full of instruments faded when I realized I wanted to PLAY the instruments, not just HAVE them. Buying an instrument is fun, but it gets embarrassing when you've got a backlog of three instruments sitting around that could each take a lifetime to learn.

So now I just buy instructional videos, one after the other :embarrassed:.

I'm not a very good gear flipper. Plus I really don't like most of the cheaper instruments that I've played (with the notable exception of the Epi Joe Pass that I bought last week).

I think I'm just really focused on playing music right now and all that other stuff has become less important to me. And I own pretty much everything I could possibly need.
You have reached an enviable place.

I like playing guitar. A lot. I'm having a really tough time getting excited about any piece of gear though. Its all the same shit. Or it is stuff that is too expensive for me to own.

Oh well. Back to practicing.

I remember walking into Sam Ash on 48th Street somewhere in say the 1990 time frame. I walked around the store and realized that there was nothing in the store that I wanted or needed.

It was the strangest feeling that I had ever felt.

Although, over the years since then I have continued to grab gear here or there I have to say that in all reality there have been very few "must haves" since that day at Sam Ash.

I remember walking into Sam Ash on 48th Street somewhere in say the 1990 time frame. I walked around the store and realized that there was nothing in the store that I wanted or needed.

It was the strangest feeling that I had ever felt.

Although, over the years since then I have continued to grab gear here or there I have to say that in all reality there have been very few "must haves" since that day at Sam Ash.
I see gear on the Intarwebnetz that I find interesting but it never seems to make it to stores. Could it be that's why GC is failing? PUT INTERESTING SHIT IN YOUR STORES, MORONS!

Sometimes I wonder If I'm more player or collector. More fan of music, or that beautiful instrument itself. What's better than a beer? The next one. What's better than a guitar? The next one. I spend WAY too much time daydreaming about new guitars, far more time than I do learning new songs or practicing. I have 3 guitars that I don't play that hang on my wall. God., please don't let me become one of those assholes that buys the $25,000 EVH Frankenstein replicas to put in a glass case to masturbate to every day. Mark, take pity on me and give me a few free skype lessons or something and get me back on track. Make me play diminished scales or something. Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Nah, the lack of room for umpteen million guitars and amps (I live in an apartment), has put the brakes on me getting a lot of either of those items. The severe nickel allergy I have (and the resultant mega dermatitis it can cause [and has caused me in the past]) has made buying guitars only to flip them down the road for "something better" pretty much a thing of the past, due to the cost of refretting them (to get rid of the nickel frets), which can get pretty expensive (I've already spent over $1400 for re-fret jobs on 4 guitars). So, what guitars I've gotten over the past several months, I've thought long and hard about getting, with the idea that they will be keepers. I have one more new guitar in the loop (a Gibson Les Paul Jr. on layaway, that I plan to pay off next month), and hopefully that'll be it for me, for a long time. I'd like to have another 7-string, but I don't think I can justify the cost, due to the fact that it would not get as much playing time as the other ones.

Money matters can be a real GAS killer.

Sometimes I wonder If I'm more player or collector. More fan of music, or that beautiful instrument itself. What's better than a beer? The next one. What's better than a guitar? The next one. I spend WAY too much time daydreaming about new guitars, far more time than I do learning new songs or practicing. I have 3 guitars that I don't play that hang on my wall. God., please don't let me become one of those assholes that buys the $25,000 EVH Frankenstein replicas to put in a glass case to masturbate to every day. Mark, take pity on me and give me a few free skype lessons or something and get me back on track. Make me play diminished scales or something. Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
This.

Sometimes I wonder If I'm more player or collector. More fan of music, or that beautiful instrument itself.

You know, when I started playing guitar for real, I didn't play it to become the next EVH or Steve Vai. First and foremost, I am a fan of music. Music has always been such a huge part of my life. Sure, when I was 12, I wanted to be the greatest guitar player ever, but when I really picked it up, I just wanted to be able to create the very thing that I loved so much even it was just banging away with 2 power chords. Whenever I see a guitar or a pedal or an amp, I think what kind of music will come out of my hands with that? Which I think is dangerous, because I get that piece of gear, pull out the inspiration I get from it, then it is time to move on to the next piece.

I've not been inspired to buy anything for while..... If I came across a old reverb deluxe that wasn't priced through the roof maybe..... I can build them to sound as good or most of the time better but it's not the same as the history of where a great old amp may have been...., I've whittled my guitars down to a couple gibsons and a couple fenders.... 1 carvin...

Seems like I've been buying microphones lately Just picked up a near perfect sm7b for $100. Didn't need it but it was a great deal....

Back