Guitars are boring.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I like playing guitar. A lot. I'm having a really tough time getting excited about any piece of gear though. Its all the same shit. Or it is stuff that is too expensive for me to own.

Oh well. Back to practicing.

That's not a bad place to be.

I often think that all the hype over brand new gear distracts us from just practicing the shit out of our instruments and working on new music.

People like Rory Gallagher, SRV, and Willie Nelson played the same damned instruments until they were falling apart... and kept on playing.

I like playing guitar. A lot. I'm having a really tough time getting excited about any piece of gear though. Its all the same shit. Or it is stuff that is too expensive for me to own.

That's because you have gotten into a rut of posting only the most insanely expensive gear. If you look at the low-end of the market, there is really a remarkable amount of variation out there, and if you (like me) are into flipping gear, it gives you the opportunity to try lots and lots of different guitars. Lower your sights, and you may have more fun!

That's because you have gotten into a rut of posting only the most insanely expensive gear. If you look at the low-end of the market, there is really a remarkable amount of variation out there, and if you (like me) are into flipping gear, it gives you the opportunity to try lots and lots of different guitars. Lower your sights, and you may have more fun!
I'm not a very good gear flipper. Plus I really don't like most of the cheaper instruments that I've played (with the notable exception of the Epi Joe Pass that I bought last week).

I think I'm just really focused on playing music right now and all that other stuff has become less important to me. And I own pretty much everything I could possibly need.

Says tha' man with TWO custom McFeely guitars... :tongue:
Well, I have a pretty good deal with Mark because of my "promotional" efforts for him.

Two things are at play with this right now, though. #1 is that I do this for a living so it is much easier for me to justify something that can be either depreciated or expensed on my taxes. #2 is that I am really broke right now and can't really even come up with the cash for stuff that I don't have an actual need for.

I'm not a very good gear flipper. Plus I really don't like most of the cheaper instruments that I've played (with the notable exception of the Epi Joe Pass that I bought last week).

I think I'm just really focused on playing music right now and all that other stuff has become less important to me. And I own pretty much everything I could possibly need.

I know what you mean -- I've sold a lot of gear lately, and am settling into a period where I am focused on less is more. I believe I am going to end up with one six-string acoustic (my little Emerald X7), one 12-string (currently my Tak, but I want to save up for a Guild), and perhaps two or three electrics (My SG, my tele, and either the LP Special or Strat).

Ever since I got my McFeely, I don't have any realistic wants for guitars. I really want a Kauer and a Deimel, but that won't happen for at least 4 years. I keep getting bit by pedals. There are just so many freaking cool ones out there and as long as you buy used, you can get back what you paid for them and sometimes make a little scratch.

I am at about the minimum amount of gear I can own and be able to play out. Well, I really need a backup electric.

But I am happy with my tone and my gear is very adequate for my immediate needs. I am learning to simply be content with what I have. Yeah, I really want a nice acoustic. But for now I can more than make do with what I have. If the financial floodgates open up a bit down the line....eh....I'll probably buy a small house instead. I need to just spend more time honing the skills.

I like playing guitar. A lot. I'm having a really tough time getting excited about any piece of gear though. Its all the same shit. Or it is stuff that is t:gah:o expensive for me to own.

No GAS? Seek medical help immediately. :gah:

Every guitar needs to be kept in fresh strings. Every (tube) amp needs maintenance. It's a hassle and takes time.

Playing is more fun.

If I've got a talented student who is strapped for cash, then I am more than happy to offer them a 100% discount on lessons plus a little cash for re-stringing my instruments.

Works well for me. Of course, that isn't profitable. But really, I'm teaching for fun and satisfaction.

I do the same thing for students who volunteer by playing at hospitals, long-term care facilities, after-school programs, etc.

Last edited:
I don't believe that there really is new gear at this time and all is currently on a plateau. There are new concepts and ideas but nothing the would make one want to buy it just because it was different. One can say EHX B9 and C9 organ modules. I say Guitar synth. What about OD's? At count (according to Wampler) there are over 500 different OD's out there. How many are really going to sound any different.

For me the true innovations lately have been the Quilter amps - they really do sound nice.

Neo-Dym speakers are another one. I switched to them and love the way they sound. Also my back is thanks me all the time.

With all of the boutique clone amps out there, the bottom line is how to make a better clone....or is there really one? Market and the visual appeal.

I do think innovation in the guitar have come about. While not mind warping they are enough to make a difference in what one has become familiar with. I give major props to @dougk as I have had a chance to play his guitars and there are really, really good. Yes the price tag is more than then the standard store bought model but it is worth every penny. Sadly I don't own one but have come really close to owning one - sadly it is finances.

The pickup market has become saturated with so many builders now makes you wonder the pickup market can float above water. Granted there are some well made items, many are designed to duplicate a sound. I consider EMG's to be unique when they came out because it followed a new path in pickup technology. Not really my thing but it different.

Never really got excited about Compression until Brian Wampler introduced his Ego Comp. Damn it is the diamond standard IMO. The other one I got excited about was the Janglebox - can you say Ric.

I haven't had G.A.S for over 8 years I think (last guitar purchased in 2006). Not about the money either I could have afforded new ones and flipped the older ones but I went to guitar stores several times and found that I liked what I had as much or more than anything I played. I also feel I cannot justify an expensive instrument since I'm not much of a player. To me it would be like having a very expensive car that sat in the garage because you couldn't drive it. The most I've been tempted was when I visited my brother and he's rented me a couple of guitars (nice ones compared to what I have a good Taylor and a Gibson J-45). They played a lot better than my cheap acoustic but that is a personal gift that I will never give up and again I cannot really justify a 2nd at my level.

And my wife will have a fit if I expand the collection anyways cop0

I GAS so much for stuff that it's become a wholly separate entity from my enjoyment of playing. It's become the chase for the best deal, bargain hunting, selling to "trade up," etc. Frankly, it's like a compulsion (is a compulsion), and has little to do with actually making music. This isn't to say that I don't love, use, and enjoy what I have, but the processes of acquiring gear and playing what I have occupy different areas of my brain. If I did more of the latter and less of the former, I'd be an infinitely better player, and ultimately happier I'm sure. I'm a hack player (as some of you will soon find out firsthand) and have exceptional gear, and I don't need anything else. But I still check Reverb every day...

Musically, I explore. I have come to indulging my musical side a little later in life, and I am really enjoying myself. The fact that I use my gear in a professional capacity (in a church) makes it a little easier to make some of the purchases. I have explored guitar tone in terms of guitars, amps, pedals, different strings, and different picks. I have also have a keyboard that I use to explore ideas, and drums to indulge my rhythmic side. As I have been a part of bands, I have been able to garner a better understanding of how to play with others, and how to use my backing harmony vocals (many, many years of singing tenor in choirs).

At this point, I'm sure I'll continue to explore, but I do think my gear situation has gotten to where anything that it now coming in means that I'm going in a new direction, and something will have to go. I do have a tendency to hold on to the former a bit, just in case the new direction isn't quite what I expected it would be. Which is where things can get a little out of hand.

Back