Guitarists on Cocaine

I'm a coffee addict, more than anything else. I am a bit dependent, but I've also gone days without it without really noticing. Then I realize why I've been feeling kind of shitty. Just like if you forgot to take your prescription drugs.

I love good beer, wine, and brandy, but my drinking is almost exclusively limited to meals and social gatherings.

My wife enjoys weed, so I consume as well. But I probably average 1 gram a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

IDK. I've always had a really hard time falling asleep, my entire life. But I survived newborn twins along with a 2 year old while recovering from brain surgery and moving across the country and into a new house, without using sleeping pills. So I'll probably be ok.

The thing with coke is the first line is the best. You are chasing that first hit after that.

I did coke every day for 8 years ,and one day I said fuck this. never touched it again.

Not quite the duration for me , but generally, by the time you get it, it's been stomped on to a fraction of a percent with baby laxative (mannitol).

Waking up with a bloody nose and no money until next payday was bad.

Not to mention, the people you hung around with were pretty uninteresting.

As DFB said, I did the hard core F**** it thing and that was in the 80's. Maybe 1984.
I will say though, a few times, I got what was probably a way better grade, and all I wanted to do was play guitar.

I quit tobacco cold-turkey about 28 years ago. I was lucky as I didn't feel nicotine withdrawal, even though I was a pack-a-day smoker. My problem was the behavioral withdrawal. That is a behavior I reinforced twenty times a day; stopping was difficult, but I focused on the benefits of quitting. Like not spending $2.00 a day on a pack of cigarettes. :grin:
Jesus, I quit cigs a bunch. Gals didn't like it and I was a chain smoker. If i drank it was like a 2.5 pack a day thing. So I quit many times. Then i quit at work. Then I only smoked outside my residence.

I credit my much older brother in law. He had a smoker's cough that sounded like death, and he did pass only a year after retiring. Peer pressure, which sucked at the time, coughing up brown shit every morning, and the stench just got to me. Twenty years off cigs and no desire to revisit.

I love good beer, wine, and brandy, but my drinking is almost exclusively limited to meals and social gatherings.
Ummm, meals come 3 times a day

My wife enjoys weed, so I consume as well. But I probably average 1 gram a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.
My weed friends are always posting articles on the medical benefits. I don't have the expertise to know if these claims are true, but if so you might be offsetting cancer and certain other diseases.

My parting days are long behind me now. I had my ups and downs with it. It doesn't have a place in my life anymore. Caffeine is the hardest drug I do now.

Ummm, meals come 3 times a day

My weed friends are always posting articles on the medical benefits. I don't have the expertise to know if these claims are true, but if so you might be offsetting cancer and certain other diseases.

Marijuana can be a great palliative and, for some, can be useful for treating certain mental illnesses and some neurological disorders.

Where cancer is concerned, however, the benefits are purely palliative; either pain relief, or for helping with nausea and/or appetite during treatments. Zero proof as a preventative or curative.

This is kind of a sore subject for the cancer community, because there is a ton of conspiracy theory bullshit. "Big pharmacy is evil, don't do chemo, hemp oil kills cancer cells, etc." I've known people who avoided chemo/radiation because of shit like this they've read on the Internet, and didn't come around until it was too late. Yes, idiots. Yes, Darwin effect. Even so, snake oil bullshitters who advocate for the Big Tumeric Industry should be shot.

Marijuana can be a great palliative and, for some, can be useful for treating certain mental illnesses and some neurological disorders.

Where cancer is concerned, however, the benefits are purely palliative; either pain relief, or for helping with nausea and/or appetite during treatments. Zero proof as a preventative or curative.

This is kind of a sore subject for the cancer community, because there is a ton of conspiracy theory bullshit. "Big pharmacy is evil, don't do chemo, hemp oil kills cancer cells, etc." I've known people who avoided chemo/radiation because of shit like this they've read on the Internet, and didn't come around until it was too late. Yes, idiots. Yes, Darwin effect. Even so, snake oil bullshitters who advocate for the Big Tumeric Industry should be shot.

Yes, that's what it sounded like to me, but I didn't have enough information to form a judgement. I enjoy it every once in a great while (once or twice a year). What do you think about the effects of smoking weed on lungs and respiratory system? I'm a cyclist, so I can never inhale any kind of smoke without feeling the effects the next time I'm in oxygen debt climbing a mountain road. I'm interested in edibles for any occasional recreational use, and still wondering if there is marijuana related lung damage similar to cigarettes.

Yes, that's what it sounded like to me, but I didn't have enough information to form a judgement. I enjoy it every once in a great while (once or twice a year). What do you think about the effects of smoking weed on lungs and respiratory system? I'm a cyclist, so I can never inhale any kind of smoke without feeling the effects the next time I'm in oxygen debt climbing a mountain road. I'm interested in edibles for any occasional recreational use, and still wondering if there is marijuana related lung damage similar to cigarettes.

We almost exclusively use a vaporizer or edibles. I'd recommend them; I like joints, but I've always hated bongs or pipes.

I don't think that moderate joint-smoking would have much, if any, impact on either your athletic performance or long-term health, unless you're planning on cycling while high. If that's the case, then it might be safer to stick with a stationary exercise bike.

We almost exclusively use a vaporizer or edibles. I'd recommend them; I like joints, but I've always hated bongs or pipes.

I don't think that moderate joint-smoking would have much, if any, impact on either your athletic performance or long-term health, unless you're planning on cycling while high. If that's the case, then it might be safer to stick with a stationary exercise bike.

Ha, I used to cycle with this Jamaican fellow, dreads and all. We took one of the longest, toughest one day trails uphill in the Angeles National Forest. After about 4 hours of straight riding we finally stopped in the shade at a creek and he lit up a bowl. Of course he was gracious and offered some, but I laughed and let him know I could barely breathe as it was and couldn't fathom inhaling smoke. The trail was extremely technical in sections with some serious exposure (straight 100 ft drop in one section off the side of a 3 foot wide trail). When I brought this up, he said the weed relaxed him and improved his bike handling skills. He rode well after the little break. I was just glad I wasn't high.

I had an extended period of inebriety; probably about 8 years. During that time, I did absolutely every drug available, some of them daily and / or quite often. During the "Big 80's," coke was a 3x/week sort of thing ... and purity was much better (because one of my friends at the time was a coke dealer). I had a friend who never had ask what it was like, and I said "imagine shotgunning a six pack of Jolt, and then getting an unbelievably good piece of news."

Personal experience says that addiction has many, many stories - one for each addict.

Hardest to kick, without a doubt, was nicotine. What an insidious fucking drug, right down to the marketing plans and delivery systems. To me, nicotine is infinitely more evil than blow. For some reason, cocaine was incredibly easy for me to stop doing - once I wasn't around it, I didn't miss it. Alcohol I missed, pot I missed, but not blow. We won't speak of other things, but suffice to say those were "occasional detours" and not regular menu items.

I had a couple of friends who did an awful lot of cocaine pass away in middle age. One heart attack, one of cancer. I got the feeling the cancer was perhaps egged on by hard living.

In my personal experience that it can in fact make one play with more energy and enthusiasm. Whether you like it or not yes it can make you better however it can also make you worse as well. Cocaine makes you numb and it’s difficult to get into and feel a song or what you are playing when you can’t feel much of anything. So the answer is yes and no. It seems like initially it can enhance one’s playing but after a period of time it begins to have a negative effect and can make a good guitar player lack soul and emotion in their playing. Not that I know. Not to mention after a while you start telling yourself you have to have it to play good. Trust me as fun as it may be like anything else the important thing to remember is moderation. If you think railing lines of powder is gonna make you good the answer is no

Last edited:
It’s super fun because it’s cocaine. It’s sad when guitar players start chasing that buzz more than the music though.

Back