Guitarists on Cocaine

Are there any long term effects of doing a lot of cocaine? I know a guitarist who doesn't do any drugs anymore, but always sounds, & moves like he's really "coked up".

Although I guess the rolling stones improved their sound afterwards, if you compare the 70's performances with something like the concert from "Shine a Light" , so maybe it's just the way he plays.
Sounds more like ADHD.
But long term effects?? Well, there's death.

The most common one is heart disease. Almost inevitable with long-term usage.

Also carries a high risk of stroke or brain damage.

Don't forget the ability to run a string through your left nostril and have it come out your right one. I think Stevie Nicks had that condition.

Hmm. Very interesting. Thanks, I guess:grin::zoinks:

Anyways, speaking of Stevie Nicks:

One thing you learn, both in training and experience in the addiction field, is that different people respond to different drugs, based on their particular brain chemistry and preferences. Those who love stimulants will talk about how the high of cocaine is better than the best orgasm they ever had. I was always afraid to try it, though I had many opportunities to do so in the 80s.

One thing you learn, both in training and experience in the addiction field, is that different people respond to different drugs, based on their particular brain chemistry and preferences. Those who love stimulants will talk about how the high of cocaine is better than the best orgasm they ever had. I was always afraid to try it, though I had many opportunities to do so in the 80s.

Yeah, I've never dabbled outside of the "grass" that god made "green and it was good." :thu: One of my dad's favorite lines.

I have what I view as a healthy fear of narcotics, and have avoided those that might totally melt my psyche or that are highly addictive. Of course I've had alcohol, but the issues in my family made me very leery of establishing any comfort there. I haven't been drunk in more than a decade and I've rarely had two or more drinks in a night (and then it was homemade pina coladas or hard root beer). Since having our boys I've been too paranoid about not having control of my faculties should anything happen to them...

BLANCHARD ON COKE is one of the scariest things I can think of. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT ALL MY AMAZING IDEAS ABOUT PEACE AND LOVE...NONSTOP...FOUR EIGHT HOURS.

It sucks. I am glad I dropped it.
This happened im '98 or so.
You were lucky to be able to quit the way you did; my brother did the same with alcohol. It is guys like you who could put guys like me out of business. Unfortunately, most people seem to need a lot of help and support to move away from addiction.

74253420.jpg

You were lucky to be able to quit the way you did; my brother did the same with alcohol. It is guys like you who could put guys like me out of business. Unfortunately, most people seem to need a lot of help and support to move away from addiction.
I wish I could do the same with tobacco.
That is a tough one.

I wish I could do the same with tobacco.
That is a tough one.
I quit tobacco cold-turkey about 28 years ago. I was lucky as I didn't feel nicotine withdrawal, even though I was a pack-a-day smoker. My problem was the behavioral withdrawal. That is a behavior I reinforced twenty times a day; stopping was difficult, but I focused on the benefits of quitting. Like not spending $2.00 a day on a pack of cigarettes. :grin:

I can't kick the nicotine.
When I had my triple bypass all zi could think about was a smoke.

Thread hijacking over.

Long term affects are numerous, ugly, and unique to the individual. Some long time users have few if any outwardly visible tattle tales, some are a walking showcase.

I know it ended my dear cousin Richard's life FAR too early after destroying his heart. He spent his entire adult life, from the age of 16 in the Rock 'n' Roll business. He went from schlupping gear as a Roadie to being a manager and or road manager for some of the biggest names in the history of the business... most of which had one thing in common... an always on hand supply of Coke that never ran out.

He is responsible in so many ways for me being a musician, and countless precious memories of personal encounters with legends, people I'd have never in a million years gotten to meet otherwise. I miss him every damned day.

I just had a great conversation about him with Ronnie Lane the other night. The bands and musicians he worked with loved him every bit as much as he loved what he did. He was so proud of having Axel present him with his pure white leather "Biker Jacket" to wear as a member of his wedding party after sticking with them through the shit and debauchery of a bunch of filthy derelict addicts who could barely form a sentence early on, but somehow managed to pull it together enough to score that Geffen deal and record "Appetite". They were likes kids he'd found abandoned on the streets to him, and he gave up nearly everything to see them succeed.

For as big as his heart was, the cocaine ultimately took him down.

That shit is pure evil.

Back