Guitar trends that get way out of hand

Elias Graves

Common misfit
Fret wire is going that way. It's getting insane.

DCP_0128.jpg

What are some other trends past and present that went off the rails?

My answer will remain relic'ing. It amazes me that people don't see the irony of spending extra on a guitar someone beat up on purpose, then being really careful not to get any non-original scratches on it. Neck wear I get, because worn necks feel so much better, but what the hell is the appeal of a worn down body if it's not from years of gigging?

My answer will remain relic'ing. It amazes me that people don't see the irony of spending extra on a guitar someone beat up on purpose, then being really careful not to get any non-original scratches on it. Neck wear I get, because worn necks feel so much better, but what the hell is the appeal of a worn down body if it's not from years of gigging?
This.

I'm afraid that strings are starting to go the way of fret wire. Every time I turn around, there's a new innovation that we surely won't be able to live without.

And how am I supposed to come to terms with my feeling that 6 strings is perfect, while 7-8 strings is too much. Then there's the issue of 12 strings becoming perfect again! idn_smilie

I dont get people's problem with 7 or 8 string guitars. It's not that there are no 6 strings available anymore. Just because they are of no use to you doedn't mean same goes for other people :shrug:

i've got no problem with them. i do think the trend is getting out of hand, but if you have a use for an 8-string guitar, then more power to you. Tosin Abasi kills it on an 8-string.

Some players make excellent use of those extended range guitars. The guys in Meshuggah, Tosin Abasi, prolly some others I can't remember. Then you have people like Tony MacAlpine, who has absolutely no business even looking at a damn 8-string guitar, let alone that 9-string I keep hearing about.

i like that guy's playing a lot. the Novax he plays is a different kind of extended range instrument than a "typical" 7- or 8-string guitar. i think it even has fanned frets and some bass strings.

He had his 8 string modded down to 7. Four guitar strings, three bass strings, fanned frets. But you could probably do it just fine on a regular 7 too.

Some players make excellent use of those extended range guitars. The guys in Meshuggah, Tosin Abasi, prolly some others I can't remember. Then you have people like Tony MacAlpine, who has absolutely no business even looking at a damn 8-string guitar, let alone that 9-string I keep hearing about.
Haken has a guitarist that plays an 8-string, a guitarist/keyboardist that plays a 7-string, and a bass player that plays a 6-string bass :)

Back