Guitar Set up and maintenance guides?

I remember @Help!I'maRock! doing a little clinic that @Mark Wein streamed from his place a few years ago. I would like to do a little reading, and a little watching (visual learner here) regarding guitar set up, fret end maintenance, cleaning of dirty pots, etc. General DIY electric guitar stuff. Want to use it in my mod project, and also springboard into doing a little more maintenance on my other guitars.

Anyone have some suggested resources?

I have both of those books, but I usually just hit youtube and search for my answer.

This is the book I use: http://amzn.to/1RqjUes

Half the time I just google my question though.
I have both of those books, but I usually just hit youtube and search for my answer.
Are the little plastic guitar tools/gauges useful? I will probably use Youtube mostly too, but it is fun to read a few pages at a time and so it could be worth a couple/few bucks.

Also, any particular youtube resources you find to be better?

Are the little plastic guitar tools/gauges useful? I will probably use Youtube mostly too, but it is fun to read a few pages at a time and so it could be worth a couple/few bucks.

Also, any particular youtube resources you find to be better?
I don't have the gauges so I don't know. I don't have to hit youtube too much anymore so I don't really have a go to channel.

Erlewine's books are fantastic. And you can't always Google on the toilet.

* For basic set up, Fender's website has a really good step by step IMO
* There's a guy on YouTube ("Dave's World of Fun Stuff") who ... entertains me in a weird way. Also, he does step by steps for guitar mods. And does not have a pro workshop. Try him.

I ordered this one, which is the new version of the one Mark recommended. Should work as a good resource.

47d37fee2efc8ef96190f579b5e7f048.jpg

Last edited:
Back