GPOTD Guitar Pic Of The Day 5/18/2011...Keith Richards Edition

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tele = maple board

:hd:

Leo changed all guitars to rosewood in '58. not CBS, not FMIC, Clarence Leo Fender. so for the past 53 years, longer than most of us on this board have been alive, telecasters have been available with rosewood fretboards. get over it.

Leo changed all guitars to rosewood in '58. not CBS, not FMIC, Clarence Leo Fender. so for the past 53 years, longer than most of us on this board have been alive, telecasters have been available with rosewood fretboards. get over it.

I know but he changed them for a dumb reason imo. I just prefer the feel of maple, Im not someone who claims to be able to hear a difference in tone.

I know but he changed them for a dumb reason imo. I just prefer the feel of maple, Im not someone who claims to be able to hear a difference in tone.

not having your guitars look like crap on TV is an incredibly good reason. remember this was the 50s. culture at the time was clean and buttoned up. rock n roll was rebellious music, but you still couldn't get on tv if you weren't styling. and that meant new, clean looking instruments. it was a marketing decision. just as moving to Alder was a cost-cutting decision. honestly, none of the changes Leo made to his instruments were for tone. they were to make a bigger profit.

not having your guitars look like crap on TV is an incredibly good reason. remember this was the 50s. culture at the time was clean and buttoned up. rock n roll was rebellious music, but you still couldn't get on tv if you weren't styling. and that meant new, clean looking instruments.

Rosewood board. Nirvana looking all styling and buttoned up.

Last edited by a moderator:
not having your guitars look like crap on TV is an incredibly good reason. remember this was the 50s. culture at the time was clean and buttoned up. rock n roll was rebellious music, but you still couldn't get on tv if you weren't styling. and that meant new, clean looking instruments. it was a marketing decision. just as moving to Alder was a cost-cutting decision. honestly, none of the changes Leo made to his instruments were for tone. they were to make a bigger profit.

I can see the clean astiectic being important in the 50's. To me a dirty maple board is beyond cool. My Jetstreams board is discolored, but it's all real from my fingers, and I clean it every string change. Just turned out that way, to me it looks awesome.

I can see the clean astiectic being important in the 50's. To me a dirty maple board is beyond cool. My Jetstreams board is discolored, but it's all real from my fingers, and I clean it every string change. Just turned out that way, to me it looks awesome.

right, but that's you with your modern sensibility. we've grown up with ripped jeans and worn guitars and thought they were cool. but they were only cool because that what happened to the old dudes from the 50s over time.

the one that really cracks me up is when guitarists spend thousands on a relic and the comments they get from people are "couldn't you afford a new guitar?"

right, but that's you with your modern sensibility. we've grown up with ripped jeans and worn guitars and thought they were cool. but they were only cool because that what happened to the old dudes from the 50s over time.

the one that really cracks me up is when guitarists spend thousands on a relic and the comments they get from people are "couldn't you afford a new guitar?"
I laugh when now when I hear Sultan's of Swing "An old guitar is all he can afford....."
:grin:

welcome back, Ellen!
wondered where you went...

okay, here's comes the brown squall.

I can't friggin' stand the Rolling Stones.
sure, I respect their place in rock history, gotta be a moron not to.
but their music does SWF for me.
with the very odd exception here and there.

but I do like Telecasters.

unless I could sell this one, I'd rather have a new one in better shape, thanks.

Back