Photo4_aba7a-Original.jpg

Year: 2008
ManufacturerName Suhr
ModelName Modern
Case: Original Hard
Color: Bengal Burst
Condition: Brand New
Price:
Overland Express Description: Bengal Burst w/ natural back. Lightweight Mahogany body (weight is 6 lbs 15 oz) with a beautiful 3/16” Angel Quilt Maple top, Mahogany neck with African Rosewood fretboard, Modern Elliptical neck shape (.780-.830, 10”-14” R). Jumbo SS frets, Gotoh Floyd-Recessed bridge, 1.650 nut width, chrome hardware, Sperzel locking tuners, no pickguard-rear rout, 5 way switch, side jack, zebra JST Aldrich neck & bridge humbuckers, black painted headstock, scraped binding, Mother of Pearl face, side dots & Logo w/ gloss headstock. List is $4,580.00; call or e-mail for a price.

I would hit that with extreme prejudice. chears

But only if I found it in a pawn shop for less than $1000.

I don't understand the locking tuners though. Why put locking tuners on a guitar with a locking nut? idn_smilie

And why a Gotoh Floyd instead of an OFR?

What a strange looking body for a Suhr.

Its not really my aesthetic but I'm sure its a great guitar.

The neck is really thin for my hands. It doesn't say it but I wonder if the guitar is chambered....

Prages said:
I don't understand the locking tuners though. Why put locking tuners on a guitar with a locking nut? idn_smilie

And why a Gotoh Floyd instead of an OFR?

You can order whatever you want from them. I've seen people ask for some pretty lame hardware on their expensive custom guitar build.

I actually have Gotoh bridges and tuners on both of my Suhrs and they make very good hardware from my experience. I would think their Floyd knock-off would work and sound pretty good, too.

markwein said:
I actually have Gotoh bridges and tuners on both of my Suhrs and they make very good hardware from my experience. I would think their Floyd knock-off would work and sound pretty good, too.

I'm sure it is a fine bridge, but most people, when they are spending that kind of cash, are still gonna want the OFR.

Of course, I've got a couple of Wolfgangs that cost over $1k and neither of them has an OFR, so what do I know? :facepalm:

Prages has a point though. why would you get locking tuners and a locking nut? and why not an OFR? the guitar lists for $4500, you'd think that any added cost wouldn't be a big deal at that pricepoint.

helpimarock said:
Prages has a point though. why would you get locking tuners and a locking nut? and why not an OFR? the guitar lists for $4500, you'd think that any added cost wouldn't be a big deal at that pricepoint.

It doesn't, really.

Suhr doesn't make any actual "Production" models except for the "Pro" series. If you walk into a store and see a new Suhr hanging on the wall its a custom build that the store owner put together thinking he will be able to sell that particular collection of features.

You can get an awesome guitar from Suhr or you can get a confused jumble of stuff if you don't know what you're doing.

markwein said:
You can get an awesome guitar from Suhr or you can get a confused jumble of stuff if you don't know what you're doing.

Well, I think the guitar in question is an awesome guitar with a confused jumble of stuff.

I do really like the look though. Give me that guitar with non-locking tuners and an OFR and I'm all set. AOK

markwein said:
helpimarock said:

It doesn't, really.

Suhr doesn't make any actual "Production" models except for the "Pro" series. If you walk into a store and see a new Suhr hanging on the wall its a custom build that the store owner put together thinking he will be able to sell that particular collection of features.

that's just poor customer service then. at some point, somebody should say "wait, why do you need a locking nut and locking tuners? pick one and go with it." even if the guitar is in production that should be asked. i'm kinda tempted to call the retailer and ask myself.

John Suhr did a little editing on my Strat.  I really don't know in situations like this.

* looks on Suhr site *

This is kind of similar:

http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/10AnnivLE/10th_Anny_LE_Specs.pdf

They seem to like the locking tuners and Gotoh FR combination...

Front%20(2).jpg

10AnnivLE_full_lo.jpg

Suhr Custom 10th Anniversary Limited Edition

10th Anniv. LE The 2007~2008 10th Anniversary Limited Edition model is a culmination of ten years of building some of the finest solid-body electric guitars in the world and also a nod towards an even brighter future. It represents all that is great about a Suhr guitar - modern technology and building knowhow coupled with traditional attention to detail on such matters as the woods used and old world craftsmanship by experienced master builders.

Based on the 24-fret Modern model introduced during NAMM at the Anaheim Convention Center in January, 2008, the 10th Anniversary Limited Edition combines the most beautiful tone woods for the ultimate solid-body electric guitar sounds with fast and luxurious playability and stunning looks.

This spectacular instrument features the choicest lightweight Honduras Mahogany body and neck, premium grade Angel Quilted Maple top, and Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard, so you can be assured of a deliciously rich and warm yet cutting tone to excel in a variety of playing situations and musical styles. The hardware consists of the Gotoh Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo system for not only superb tuning stability, but a big full tone that one doesn't normally expect from a bridge of this type.

Trust us: this is a great sounding bridge. The pickups are the hot yet toneful Aldrich humbuckers, specially calibrated for each position. The frets are the large and silky smooth Jumbo stainless steel, allowing you to fly over the fingerboard with ease and sure-handedness.

The 10th Anniversary Limited Edition model is sure to become a great collector's instrument but it was still meant to be played and enjoyed, not stowed away in a vault as an investment item as so many "Limited" models from other manufacturers tend to be. We build our instruments to be played and to sound great for live or recording performances.

Although this guitar is beautiful enough to be put in a glass case and admired purely for its looks, it wants to be held and played. It invites you to pick her up and make some great music together. We are extremely proud to bring this instrument to market after working on and off on the Modern design for nearly two years. It took a while with John's busy schedule, but it has certainly been worth the wait.

We celebrate our 10th anniversary by offering what we believe is our finest Limited Edition guitar yet - a guitar that embraces the traditions of the past but looks towards the future with design innovations and the latest in guitar technology.

Back