Guitar Center Severs Ties With Behringer

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Guitar Center Severs Ties With Behringer
THE MUSIC PRODUCT MARKET'S supplier-retailer relationships are always shifting, and usually without much comment. On May 16, however, Guitar Center took the unusual step of severing its longtime relationship with Music Group, parent company of Behringer, Midas, Klark Teknik, and Turbosound. A statement from Guitar Center cites Music Group's "revision to unreasonable business terms late last year and a continuous history of attempting to force unfavorable changes into agreements."
5312.jpg
GC's statement continues: "Decisions like this are never made easily. There are rare occasions where the integrity of the relationships and agreements we make with vendors are challenged, despite the potential impact to the bottom line or overall sales. We can't speak for anyone else in the industry, but we'd had enough of watching Behringer try to do business this way. It's not the way we like to work with people and it's not productive. They made some questionable choices that put us into a position to develop a contingency plan. As we re-evaluated that plan several weeks ago, we found that it would allow us to build better relationships with other vendor partners in the category. When Plan B starts to make this much business sense, it became clear we didn't need to tolerate this anymore. We're focused on where we can succeed in partnership with our new vendors and we're excited about the future."
Music Group CEO Uli Behringer responded, "We were surprised by a recent public statement issued by Guitar Center. Over the last year, due to GC's highly publicized financial situation, we were forced to evaluate their creditworthiness. As a result of their credit rating, it was determined that they were a high risk and we were forced to put them on business hold. We certainly respect GC's decision to discontinue business with us and we thank them for our excellent 20-year relationship."

Article is too long, let me summarize:

Guitar Center will no longer carry Behringer products due to the fact that Behringer doesn't like not getting paid in full and on time according to contractual terms.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Well, coming from Uli, that seems to be a convenient way to defend themselves, but I would assume it's pretty much true. I don't remember GC ever making this big a public stink over cutting ties with a supplier. Hello, new ownership!

That is a seriously finger-pointing statement from Guitar Center. When you issue a statement implying your negotiating partner has problems with integrity and makes questionable choices, you're basically going scorched earth.

I actually think it's pretty unprofessional of Guitar Center. There was no need to say anything other than, "We were unable to come to an agreement and decided to part ways." Maybe somebody needed to cool off a day before issuing a statement. Maybe they were expecting Behringer to rip them and decided to take the first shot.

Uli's raising concerns over GC's creditworthiness is revealing. It's not an industry secret that GC is in debt trouble but Behringer may have been the first company to make it a contract issue. GC might be afraid that several others will do the same now. Can you have a music store if nobody wants to sell you gear?

Article is too long, let me summarize:

Guitar Center will no longer carry Behringer products due to the fact that Behringer doesn't like not getting paid in full and on time according to contractual terms.

lmbo

Maybe Behringer will actually have to up their quality now.
Never happen.

I wonder how many more of these stories where GC breaks up with a vendor and says that they aren't being reasonable because they actually want to get paid we are going to see in the coming months.

Never happen.

I wonder how many more of these stories where GC breaks up with a vendor and says that they aren't being reasonable because they actually want to get paid we are going to see in the coming months.

At least a handful. I'm completely unsurprised that GC wants better terms than they're extending.

It's also entirely possible the creditworthiness issue had nothing to do with it but was raised as cheap shot. I wouldn't believe anybody on this unless I was in the room.

And now that Ares has taken over GC, I wouldn't mind seeing a GC thread that doesn't bash Bain from people who only know about them because of a presidential campaign.

It's also entirely possible the creditworthiness issue had nothing to do with it but was raised as cheap shot. I wouldn't believe anybody on this unless I was in the room.

I dunno. GC has a liquidity problem and Behringer has a cheap shit issue. All that really matters is how GC fills that void.

Agreed, although I feel that its more than likely the truth. Just my opinion though.

And now that Ares has taken over GC, I wouldn't mind seeing a GC thread that doesn't bash Bain from people who only know about them because of a presidential campaign.

+1. Some folks might not be aware that Ares is now responsible for GC yet though.
I dunno. GC has a liquidity problem and Behringer has a cheap shit issue. All that really matters is how GC fills that void.

Filling a void with liquidly cheap shit? Sounds like some sort of 4chan thing to me.

so.....what happens when someone who bought a behringer product and bought the "extended" warranty comes in and wants it fixed/replaced under that paid for warranty? i know a pedal is not a big thing.....but a mixing board is.

just a thought

I have several pieces of Behringer gear and they all perform above expectations. Never had an issue.

I have several pieces of Behringer gear and they all perform above expectations. Never had an issue.

I own two of their amps. One is a keyboard amp that has soldiered on without a problem for several years like an 80's Peavey and the other is a newer keyboard amp that is horrible sounding and noisy. Neither is particularly good sounding but at least one of them gets the job done. The other one is being used in a room that doesn't get much traffic and is pretty low volume. The majority of Behringer stuff my students have brought in has been pretty bad though.

I own two of their amps. One is a keyboard amp that has soldiered on without a problem for several years like an 80's Peavey and the other is a newer keyboard amp that is horrible sounding and noisy. Neither is particularly good sounding but at least one of them gets the job done. The other one is being used in a room that doesn't get much traffic and is pretty low volume. The majority of Behringer stuff my students have brought in has been pretty bad though.

I think their entry level stuff is just that... entry level.

Just like any other brand.

We have a 32 channel Eurodesk in Jason's studio that has been fantastic, and used in some capacity on the last few PLATINUM records...

Go figure

Back