Guitar builders, tweakers, and hobbyists... what are you working on???

I've got a Tele project going.

20150320_085058_zpsciftgexv.jpg

Been dialing in the cheap strat I was given.
143.jpg

The truss rod, action and intonation are set and it plays pretty well though it still buzzes a bit when unplugged. Trem block is stripped so it's a hardtail for now. Still have to refinish the Chinese strat I tore apart a year or so ago.

I've been doing mostly electronics stuff recently, and the latest stuff hasn't even been guitar related, though at least it was to do with listening to music.

Most recent projects:
  1. RIAA preamp (takes the output of an old record player and brings it up to "line" level, so you can plug it into a modern amp).
  2. Reverse RIAA attenuator (does the complete opposite of the RIAA preamp)
  3. Line out to headphones amp.

Well I sat down and made a fuzz pedal the other day.

small-fuss-with-decal.JPG

It's a really simple circuit, but building it into such a small enclosure was... challenging.

small-fuss-028.jpg

Anyway, I was waiting till I could record a (very short) video before putting it up. I had to keep the amp low and unfortunately you can hear the strings, but hopefully you can still hear the effect OK.

Last edited:
I'm working on a Tele right now. I wasn't really planning on doing another project, but I stumbled across an unfinished USACG Tele neck for only $100 and I couldn't say no. I have a lot of Tele parts in my parts box so I decided to go for it, and I'm glad I did! The neck has an extremely comfortable moderate "V" profile, medium tall frets, and quite a bit of flame. Then I got a stripped Fender Highway 1 Tele body for cheap. I'm thinking maybe Sherwood Green, though I do have some Charcoal Frost left over from my Jaguar project and it probably would be just enough to paint this one.

I gave the neck a couple of light coats of Tru Oil this weekend that I tinted slightly with Stew Mac amber tint.

With apologies to the folks at G&L I just got done reworking my Blues Boy neck. Reshaped headstock, nitro finish, rounded fretboard edges and Tusq XL nut. Feels so good.

Last edited:
Cheapo Washburn N1 that GC is blowing out for $99. I have replaced the pickups with a set of Epiphone Alnico Humbuckers from my '54 Oxblood; new toggle, and new full size 500k pot. Will be replacing the tremolo with a Wilkinson steel block vintage style when I place my next parts order with WD.

Back