Guitar Build 2017!

It's late. I'm just screwing around in the shop before I go crash. I decide to throw on a wash coat just to see what I have to work with. I picked up a paintbrush and dipped only to realize this was the brush I'd been using for red dye. :grin:

image.jpg

And the whole top with wash coat.

image.jpg

I like the colored stripes.

Looking awesome! And yeah, Gotoh makes great stuff

Thanks!

I sanded all the planer marks out with a block and hit it with another wash coat.
When my father in law gave me the wood, he also gave me a ton of finishing supplies. Among the stuff was a lot of shellac. Unfortunately, it's old and doesn't dissolve completely, which also means it won't polymerize properly when drying and won't get hard like it should.
A shame, but it gives me a big supply of wash coat material I don't have to worry about losing with the next sanding job.

image.jpg

The sanding and the daylight bring out the orange.

Bonus. @PunkKitty The humbucker arrived today. Gracias.

Everybody's a comedian...

:helper:

Today I decided to radius a piece of my scrap osage orange so I could try some practice frets.

Seems like wood species respond differently to the process. Some like snug slots while others grip fine without tight slots.
This wood is
A. Hard and
B. Resilient

It ought to hold frets well, but I want to find out before I start on my neck. Thats not where I want to discover I made the slots too wide...:embarrassed:

image.jpg

Damn. This wood is way way way harder than the Honduran rosewood.
It has a lower pitched, more resonant "thunk" to it versus the "ping" of the Honduran.

But it's hard. Damn hard.

One thing I've really noticed about the osage orange is how well it takes paint. Stuff soaks in deep and fast. I had to see how it responded to some dye.

image.jpg

I'd say pretty good. Polishes up beautifully. That may look better up against the walnut than the untreated version does.

:( My saw blade is too wide. There's a little wiggle at the ends.
No fault of the wood. This holds better than the Honduran did with the same blade.

I'll need to get a razor saw, I suppose.
Last time, I used this blade but glued the frets and they're holding fine. I'd rather not have to rely on the glue, though. Need a smaller blade.

Ruh roh. Trimming this new body blank...
I squared the edge and found this.

image.jpg

Full of checking.
I have about another inch to trim off. Was gonna wait til I got a little further along but I guess I better cut it now and see how deeply these run.

Or a completely unique design.

If you get the scale length you need, the rest is ergonomics and aesthetics.

I always ask myself "Self, why don't you do a more unique design?" And then I answer myself "Dumbass. You've seen a thousand attempts to be unique and they mostly all suck. Any design that comes along that doesn't suck quickly becomes a classic and is not unique any more. Classics are classics for a reason...They work. Cars look like what they look like because the design works. Same way with a knife, fork, spoon or guitar. So quit thinking you're some design genius who suddenly figures out what generations of design geniuseses could not. And then get me a beer. Phucker."

And then I go download a tele PDF.

Back