Guitar Build 2017!

Woo hoo! Success! We have a partial neck blank.

image.jpg

I gotta dig out the planer, which is going to suck.
The old Buick is parked in the garage, blocking my way to the shelf where the planer sits.
My garage door busted the other day and, of course, it's not a standard size. The new one won't be here for three more weeks. I may have to go garage spelunking.

I gotta dig out the planer, which is going to suck.
The old Buick is parked in the garage, blocking my way to the shelf where the planer sits.
My garage door busted the other day and, of course, it's not a standard size. The new one won't be here for three more weeks. I may have to go garage spelunking.
Send one of the boys in...tell him no more xbox until you have planer...

Was there a helmet with a light involved since the last post?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There we go. Nothing a little elbow grease can't smooth out with a block plane and sandpaper.

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's officially a board now. Lol.
Now on to the third piece!

Last edited:
This maple has some figure to it. I thought those were just machine tool marks but smoothed out with some mineral spirits on it, you can see the flame. This neck is gonna look killer.

image.jpg

And it's giving me an idea to do a maple fretboard and maybe a maple stripe down the front like this.

image.jpg

Caught up with my buddy Rodney The Cabinet Shop Guy and he generously allowed me to use some tools.

Got the rest of the neck blank cut.
image.jpg

And three boards to make the main body. Woot.
image.jpg

And made some scraps. This is about half the leftovers. The rest was knots and sap wood.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the piece I cut for the neck is a reject. :(
Two big issues.
First is this 3" long split that showed up when we planed. It's actually in a location that gets cut off if I lay it out right. But it just gets cut off and if the split follows the grain, it will show up in the headstock.

image.jpg

Second is this.
image.jpg

See how the grain changes orientation toward the bottom on that left piece? I thought I was going to get most of that out with the planer but it didn't happen.

I have another board here to use. (The orangey looking one in the background of the pics). I was afraid it wouldn't be wide enough when planed but it will. The grain is straighter. I want it as straight as I can in the neck.

It happens. Always have a plan B.
The body boards turned out to be a lousy match after planing.
I have two boards with an orange hue and one with purple. I can't find an aesthetically pleasing arrangement for them, either. And I only have a few body length slabs remaining...I'm not cutting into more just to see if it mates up better so what I have is it.
Oh well, gives me the excuse I've been looking for.

Chrome yellow with black pick guard.

image.jpg

Look what I found. A super straight piece of very hard quartersawn walnut just the right size for a fingerboard. It's fate. I'm gonna do it. What's the worst that could happen? It fails and then I have an excuse for another project...
Plus I saved $15 I can now shift to other things. That's a Kluson bridge instead of a Wilkinson. :grin:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Been experimenting with the walnut fretboard idea. Here's a sample I made up, partially in gloss clear (but not buffed or polished) and partially in danish oil & wax.
It took the radius just fine. I'll cut a couple of fret slots and see if it'll hold wire.

image.jpg

I'm sure it will function just fine as a fingerboard...the problem you are going to run into is a matter of low oil content in walnut as opposed to rosewood and ebony...you will probably have to treat it quite regularly to keepnit from drying out and getting damaged from finger grease...

I'm sure it will function just fine as a fingerboard...the problem you are going to run into is a matter of low oil content in walnut as opposed to rosewood and ebony...you will probably have to treat it quite regularly to keepnit from drying out and getting damaged from finger grease...

Without a doubt. I imagine it'll need wax regularly. It is softer than the maple for sure. I doubt it would last long for a heavy bender. I'm gonna see if I can destroy it with my hands for a while and see how quickly it damages. I don't have to decide for a while and Woodcraft carries 3/8"x3"x24" hard maple in stock for $9 if I decide it won't work.

Back