Guitar Build 2017!

I wouldn't go so far as "pleased", but I would prefer the slab look for a Tele...highly figured wood just looks better on a carve top to me...

image.jpg

We have dots!
Still need cleaned up a bit but they're in.

Not so fast. :embarrassed:

We found deep splits in the fancy top boards. I was afraid they'd be unstable with all the goofy shit going on and apparently I was right.
Not going to risk it.

Oh well, @jelloman and Mrs. G will both be pleased. They were the lone dissenters in Operation Fancy Top.

Well even though I feel it's completely your choice, I will say now that I kinda prefer it without the fancy top.

What size fretwire is that? It looks huge in that pic.
.047x.095. On the large side of medium. It's not that big. A little tall but that leaves more room for an amateur fretter like me to fix mistakes. Lol.

Now, despite my friend's warnings, I couldn't leave well enough alone and I sat down to the planer with my fancy boards, hoping that taking very very very small passes would keep me from ripping those cracks open.
I watered down some glue and worked it into the cracks then clamped it.
Then I fired up the planer.

image.jpg

And I managed to get this.
1/4" thick, still in one (two) pieces and no major tear-out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now I have to get these two halves joined up. Part of that is getting everything flat and smooth.
The back side of one of the boards took some damage.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And I was only biting off .003" at a pass!

Since it is the back side, it doesn't have to look 100%. I can sand out the snipe mark and fill the tear-outs that may be close to the edge and, therefore, visible.

But sanding this area is a mother. It's hard.

Back