Guitar Build 2017!

:facepalm: Damn. I didn't get the depth stop tight enough on the router, the bit drifted down and the bearing went under the neck, gouging the side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It doesn't look like much but it's about deep enough it'll cause the E string to ride the edge of the board. Fuck.

Alright, on to plan D.
After measuring the gouge, there's no way I can keep normal string spacing and make it work out.
I wen to Woodcraft to look for a new fingerboard but the maple selection was pretty weak. I did find the coolest looking piece of Indian rosewood I've come across in a while, though.

image.jpg

Here's the new plan.
Cut new neck blank from this board.
image.jpg

I think I can actually slice it on an angle to align the grain better with the board. I don't need full width from this so I can follow the grain.

New fretboard. I've never seen Indian rosewood this purple. It's very cool.
image.jpg

Love it. This is going to work out better I think.

I just gotta roll with shit when it happens. No point in cursing at the heavens.
Particularly since I had only $9 in that neck apart from the truss rod, which I'll pull out. Plus, the repaired tip bugged me and I honestly wasn't digging the center maple stripe down the headstock.
So that made the choice much easier.
I went into Woodcraft planning to buy another piece of maple but the selection wasn't good. I didn't find a piece I liked much.
Thumbing through the rack of dimensioned thin stock, I spotted this Indian rosewood and the color grabbed me. Looks like I can lay it out to have mostly black/purple on the board.

image.jpg

I haven't been able to capture the color with the camera yet. Maybe better light is needed. It's way more purple/red than it appears.

Easy to fuck it all up. :facepalm: :lol:

I ordered a neck pickup today. The mate to the Duncan Broadcaster, the SD STR-1 vintage rhythm for tele. Just a good classic tele neck pup. Should sound good.

I love the color of this rosewood!

image.jpg
image.jpg

And some new tools. A good 1/4" forstner and a 1/2" x 2" sanding drum & bag of sleeves. Note brand name on package. :quag:

image.jpg

Last edited:
That rosewood is gorgeous. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!

Finally got it planed smooth last night. That was one rough cut piece of wood and, you're right, it's one of the more unique pieces of rosewood I've seen. The color is amazing.
Ordered white pearl dots for it.

I came across this store...philadelphia luthier tools, and they sell a big variety of USA made parts. Found a bridge, neck plate, strap buttons and all made in USA and at good prices, too. I'm stoked.

Finally got it planed smooth last night. That was one rough cut piece of wood and, you're right, it's one of the more unique pieces of rosewood I've seen. The color is amazing.
Ordered white pearl dots for it.

I came across this store...philadelphia luthier tools, and they sell a big variety of USA made parts. Found a bridge, neck plate, strap buttons and all made in USA and at good prices, too. I'm stoked.
They an online outfit or B&M?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Why?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Because I don't want to use a damaged neck.

New parts day!!!
The neck pickup and control plate arrived. The plate is polished stainless steel, laser cut and drilled for a three way toggle instead of a blade switch.
Nice thick metal, well polished and even nice clean countersinks for the screws.
They even included a Gotoh shorty switch!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back