Guitar Build 2017!

Nicely done!
Thanks! And it fits!

image.jpg

Reactions: wok
Ooh! Look what I found.
A bottom bearing pattern bit with a variety of bearings to adjust the cutting depth. It was in a box of finishing supplies my father in law gave me. Lol.
And a long strip of the maple I made the neck with...

image.jpg

Which means I can cut binding channels. :quag:

Spent some time with my buddy Rodney in the cabinet shop working last night.
Used his sanding tools to finish up the edges on my body template. After that, I took the rest of the board I used to build the neck and sliced it into thin pieces for use as binding strips for the body. I think it'll look pretty cool to have matching wood on the neck stripe and body binding.
Lastly, Rodney and I were talking to his boss, Gary (who is a badass telecaster player, btw) and I was explaining to him how I kept the drill straight when I was drilling the tuner holes on the neck template. He interrupted me and said "Wait. You don't have a drill press? You can't work without a drill press. Come with me."
He led me into a back room at the shop and dusted off this huge old 60s Craftsman press. He told me it needs a belt but is otherwise fine. It's mine if I want it!
SCORE!!! Foo and I are going to load it later today! I'm pretty stoked about it. It's quite large enough to drill to center of a a guitar body.

So, here's the actual work that got done at the shop.

Used the side sander and spindle sander to clean up the edges of my body template.

image.jpg

Then cut the maple for the binding.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Its new home. I'll build a stand for it with some wheels so I can move it out to use it. And a table to use a drum sander and t square. Oh, and 7 3/4" from the chuck to the post. I told you this thing was huge!

image.jpg

And the saw's temporary residence. I simply have no room to set this thing up.
When I get my kids out of school, I'm buying in a cheaper part of town and getting a house with some shop space. :mad:

Tonight's task is some fretboard work.
I'm getting close to where I need to glue it on so I trimmed it up to rough size.
One of the scraps is becoming a fretting practice block. I want to double check my saw and also, with The Caul of the Wild and the drill press, I have an entirely new (and hopefully easier and more accurate) fretting method to learn. I figure I better make my mistakes on a piece of scrap and not on my fretboard.

The setup:
image.jpg

Glued my scrap to a bigger scrap for some stability. I'll cut the radius and a slot and see what happens.

image.jpg

Yay! The process worked. The caul and drill press pushed that puppy right into place. Had to tap it a little here and there to seat it tightly but it took all of about a minute to get the fret in.
Went to Hobby Lobby and got an ExActo razor saw. Nice snug fit and no glue needed.

image.jpg

What do you guys think about the maple binding idea? Too much for a slab body or nice tie-in to the neck?

I'm torn. Typically, you use binding like this to cover a joint. There is no joint around the top, so it's not needed for that reason. Purely aesthetic. Which is a good reason all by itself.

Back