Grohl on his approach to guitar - (kick/snare pattern)

Disagree that lessons don't help. Good foundational techniques always help. Just interested in his approach and how he came up with it. Also how he approaches dynamics similarly to how he would handle his cymbals in terms of when he lets strings ring (chorus) and tightens it up (verse).

In a way, I understand, because I play the drums and guitar, too. I do think that playing both gives a leg up on feeling the music, in general. On the other hand, he mentioned suspended notes, so he has had to learn something as he went along. Either someone showed him, or he got a book and figured it out. Either way, he would have been taught something. I am self-taught on the guitar, but even I recognize the people that have helped me along the way, either through tips that were given, or through printed material I have read.

Still, I have no doubt that he has a lot of in-born talent for music.

In a way, I understand, because I play the drums and guitar, too. I do think that playing both gives a leg up on feeling the music, in general. On the other hand, he mentioned suspended notes, so he has had to learn something as he went along. Either someone showed him, or he got a book and figured it out. Either way, he would have been taught something. I am self-taught on the guitar, but even I recognize the people that have helped me along the way, either through tips that were given, or through printed material I have read.

Still, I have no doubt that he has a lot of in-born talent for music.
Yeah, I kinda ignore that part of it, as some of that is just attitude. I think the point is to learn to feel the music and make it sound the way you want by playing and experimenting, maybe using some other life experience as a guide, and not get too hung up on technical stuff.

What he describes is what I have been working on since I started doing solo acoustic gigs. I wanted songs to have grooves even when playing solo which meant I had to work on a percussive "chord, snap, chord, mute, repeat" styles instead of just strumming or noodling.

My friend is a monster player. He learned without lessons. He learned by listening to Neil Young, The Beatles and CCR and playing constantly while watching tv. After hearing Van Halen and Randy Rhoads he read an article talking about the modes and theory so he looked up the modes in the encyclopedia. He said that he immediately made the connection that the modes were all the same.

He is one of those players that you meet once in a thousand guitar players. He could have played for Ozzy or really just about anyone. He ended up teaching guitar at the conservatory without ever have had a lesson himself.

I have always picked up from Dave's writing that he is a drummer first and a guitar player second. His writing is very rhythm pattern driven.

He is obviously a naturally musical person. Some people are just like that. And what he says totally makes sense--I've never thought about it precisely in those terms before, but I can dig it.
What I don't like is the "Well, that proves you don't need lessons" crap. It doesn't prove that at all. It proves Dave Grohl didn't need lessons to accomplish his particular musical goals. YMMV.

He is obviously a naturally musical person. Some people are just like that. And what he says totally makes sense--I've never thought about it precisely in those terms before, but I can dig it.
What I don't like is the "Well, that proves you don't need lessons" crap. It doesn't prove that at all. It proves Dave Grohl didn't need lessons to accomplish his particular musical goals. YMMV.
Agreed.

What he describes is what I have been working on since I started doing solo acoustic gigs. I wanted songs to have grooves even when playing solo which meant I had to work on a percussive "chord, snap, chord, mute, repeat" styles instead of just strumming or noodling.

This is a really good point that should not be overlooked.

Back