Urban Bovine Knievel
Just ordered this puppy based on an online review:

https://meater.com/

What I like about it:
  • no wires on the probe
  • 1 probe for both grill temp and meat temp
  • Bluetooth connection, reportedly easy set-up
Cons:
  • Need to be in Bluetooth range to see temp or for alarm to go off on your phone/tablet
The one I am using now connects to the wireless network, and is a little fussy about connecting and having to reconnect during a smoke. And having 2 probes and 2 wires to deal with is a hassle.

Will report back as soon as I get it and can give it a test-run. :thu:

charger.jpg

Sweet.

I didn't think I'd really use my grill's WIFI connectivity and app but dang if it isn't just too convenient to monitor & control the grill while I'm doing other things. Especially for long smokes like briskets.

GTFO.

Been grilling/smoking for 30+ years without a fucking wifi thermometer, don't see that changing. Are you SURE you are a Texan, because I'm pretty sure that shit is banned there.

GTFO.

Been grilling/smoking for 30+ years without a fucking wifi thermometer, don't see that changing. Are you SURE you are a Texan, because I'm pretty sure that shit is banned there.

Texans aren’t necessarily luddites. :wink:

And in this case, it's a move to less-obtrusive tech.

I ordered this thing just in time, the probe on my current one suffered a failure this weekend.

Last edited:
Cool!
I get a little frustrated with the wires on the one I have now. Plus it's way picky about maintaining its connection--the range is short as hell.

GTFO.

A fucking men! I've been cooking cue since I was a teenager. I like the idea of keeping it simple, and a wifi hookup is only one stupid little problem waiting to happen. If you really need wifi so you can keep tabs on your cook, you are trying to multitask too much. Relax... have a beer or three, strum a few chords... shouldn't be any more strenuous than that.

It amazes me that scientists and engineers could invent a battery that survives hours of being roasted in a grill but phone batteries occasionally light up in people’s pockets.

Cool. I'm shopping for a new grill right now, and all the advances in wifi and sensors are really amazing.

Damn thing failed 4-5 hours into the smoke. :annoyed:

Tried recharging etc. But it won’t reconnect, seems to be dead. Very disappointing, because I liked it a lot while it worked.

But it has to work. Zero stars, don’t buy! :mad:

Fortunately the brisket was still delicious.

Sucks that it didn't work.

And I get the traditionalist perspective too. And you are correct, bbq should be a relaxing thing but we cook because we enjoy it and if having data to work with adds to the fun then I don't see it as a negative. I like the idea of watching the ambient temp vs. internal. I think it is a way to know for sure what is going on when the stall happens or to be able to see a temp drop early so you can fix it without loosing too much time. I don't do long cooks as much as I used to so I may not have the same familiarity of my grill that I used to. And I've always liked to be certain about the internal temp and will always check it anyway. Certainly not a necessary tool but could add to the fun. Well, if it worked.

GTFO.

+100

This is neat, but only people who cook in microwaves need it.

Turn in your grill card.

Just wanted to update the thread - the Meater has been working great since that first time, not sure what happened unless it got confused when the iPad it was paired with was out of range. Over the weekend did a brisket for 19 hours and it was going strong the whole time.

The Meater gets 5 stars now. :)

Back