Question: Gretsch G6128T Duo Jet - Opinions?

Get thee down to CME right when they open, stake your claim in the amp room closest to the sizable Gretsch wall, and have at it.
I've checked out the CME website. There are several listed. Now I just need to find time to get down there. Maybe I will arrange for a "business meeting" in the city on Friday.

031284B-1000x696.jpg

This is the one I'm gassing for. A couple of major financial setbacks and my son's wedding this year mean probably not until next year.

031284B-1000x696.jpg

This is the one I'm gassing for. A couple of major financial setbacks and my son's wedding this year mean probably not until next year.

Ah, THAT'S what I'm curious about. Dynasonics on that beastie. I just feel like they would have more chime than the Filtertrons, which are great pickups but......dunno. I've never done a side-by-side.

I've got a 6128 TVP with a fixed bridge. It's an outstanding guitar. What would you like to know?

View attachment 27064
Mostly curious about the shape of the neck and scale length. Does it feel and play more like a Les Paul or a Fender?

I've played 6120's before, and I like the neck on those.

Also, interested in your opinion of the build quality in general. The ones I see listed are roughly between $1600 - $2100. It's a lot of money to spend on a guitar (particularly to buy online without playing first).

Ah, THAT'S what I'm curious about. Dynasonics on that beastie. I just feel like they would have more chime than the Filtertrons, which are great pickups but......dunno. I've never done a side-by-side.

I recently put together an old Musicmaster build. The person I bought the body from routed the bridge for a humbucker, so I put in a TV Jones TV Classic and then I swapped it for their T-Armond. They have a similar sound, but I liked the T-Armond better, but I like single coils much better than humbuckers.

I don't remember which one I was testing back when I was looking semi-hollows, and before I got my Viking, but I liked all of the asian ones I tried. They all seemed solid, decently finished, and had nice sounds.

Mostly curious about the shape of the neck and scale length. Does it feel and play more like a Les Paul or a Fender?

Also, interested in your opinion of the build quality in general. The ones I see listed are roughly between $1600 - $2100. It's a lot of money to spend on a guitar (particularly to buy online without playing first).

I have a pro series Gretsch and you can't find anything out there with better build quality. Terada builds them and they are flawless. I bought mine new in 2008 IIRC, and I've had no issues with it.

Sorry, I really and truly thought I'd responded already.

Click on the "specs" tab for all the details: http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...wer-jet-w-bigsby-ebony-fretboard-black/#specs

I've been playing the Power Jet a lot over the past two nights and I've come to this conclusion: If I was forced to whittle my collection down to just the Gretsch I'd have little to complain about. Take that for whatever it's worth.

• It's not that much different from my Les Paul in terms of overall feel. If you own/play a LP you'll be right at home.
  • The neck is on the slim side but not as skinny as what Gibson calls their "slim taper/60s" neck. Or at least I don't think so. I've got a pretty chunky 50s carve on my LP and SG.
  • It's significantly lighter than the LP. Chambering will do that.
  • It's more lively than the LP too. Again, chambering. Also—ebony fretboard.
  • The PowerTrons are great pickups. On the hot side, actually. More so than whatever came stock on my LP, anyway.
  • The tone control system on a Gretsch is either its charm or its Achilles heel, depending on your perspective. You dial it in on the amp because you don't have the luxury of nuanced control on the guitar.
  • I bought mine used (I think it's an '03) for $1k a couple of years ago. At that price it's a steal. Up to $1,500 it's a terrific guitar you'd never want to sell. At $2k there's a world of other options. I'm not saying it can't compete at that level, but there are some extraordinary guitars to be found at that price point. You'd need to really want a Gretsch, I think.
Bottom line is I can't see myself ever selling this guitar. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Sorry, I really and truly thought I'd responded already.

Click on the "specs" tab for all the details: http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...wer-jet-w-bigsby-ebony-fretboard-black/#specs

I've been playing the Power Jet a lot over the past two nights and I've come to this conclusion: If I was forced to whittle my collection down to just the Gretsch I'd have little to complain about. Take that for whatever it's worth.

• It's not that much different from my Les Paul in terms of overall feel. If you own/play an LP you'll be right at home.
  • The neck is on the slim side but not as skinny as what Gibson calls their "slim taper/60s" neck. Or at least I don't think so. I've got a pretty chunky 50s carve on my LP and SG.
  • It's significantly lighter than the LP. Chambering will do that.
  • It's more lively than the LP too. Again, chambering. Also—ebony fretboard.
  • The PowerTrons are great pickups. On the hot side, actually. More so than whatever came stock on my LP, anyway.
  • The tone control system on a Gretsch is either its charm or its Achilles heel, depending on your perspective. You dial it in on the amp because you don't have the luxury of nuanced control on the guitar.
  • I bought mine used (I think it's an '03) for $1k a couple of years ago. At that price it's a steal. Up to $1,500 it's a terrific guitar you'd never want to sell. At $2k there's a world of other options. I'm not saying it can't compete at that level, but there are some extraordinary guitars to be found at that price point. You'd need to really want a Gretsch, I think.
Bottom line is I can't see myself ever selling this guitar. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the detailed reply. That's very helpful.

Edit to add: sounds like the guitar for me. I have a LP with a 50's neck, and I really like that shape.

I really love the look of the Elliot Easton (Cadillac Green) and if I can find one at a fair price, then I will probably go for it. I don't own a large number of guitars, and I would rather spend a little more and get the guitar I really want rather than settle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply. That's very helpful.

Edit to add: sounds like the guitar for me. I have a LP with a 50's neck, and I really like that shape.

I really love the look of the Elliot Easton (Cadillac Green) and if I can find one at a fair price, then I will probably go for it. I don't own a large number of guitars, and I would rather spend a little more and get the guitar I really want rather than settle.

It's a surprisingly versatile do-it-all guitar. It can certainly get in the zip code of LP or Tele sounds, plus it's got its own thing going on. Also, the master volume is helpful. Plus you can dial the volume on the two pickups combined in all sorts of ways, so I suppose that's another way of manipulating the tone.

If you can find an Easton then I'd say my price guide goes out the window. Also, keep in mind $2k is a hell of a lot of money for me.

I wish I had the cash for a real american Gretsch , but these new streamliner series will have to do.

The Streamliners are great cheap guitars, but they do not sound very Gretsch-y; however, they have some really good pickups that are more PAF-ish, so IMO these kill the similar Epis in the price range for feel, sound, consistency and playability.

Back