Green Chile Stew....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
Since winter is upon us I thought I would share my recipe for a family favorite - Green Chile Stew. This is kind of the South Western version of Chicken Noodle Soup. There are a bunch of different way to make this, but this is the general recipe I follow.

Ingredients:
2# diced pork (chicken or turkey may be subbed in if you don't eat pork)
1/4 cup flour
3/4# hot diced roasted green chiles (I buy 'Bueno' brand in the store frozen)
3/4# mild diced roasted green chiles ( same as above - you can sub in any green chile brand or home grown)
1 large onion diced
4 Garlic cloves chopped
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds (whole - though ground will do)
1 Tbsp Oregano (Mexican if possible)
2 cans or one large can Diced or Crushed tomatoes. Fire roasted are really nice.
4 - 6 cups Chicken Broth
4 cups water
3 TBSP light Olive Oil

Directions:
Add 3 TBSP light olive oil to the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven at just over medium heat.
Add the Cumin seeds and Oregano and allow to simmer in the oil for at least one minute.
Add the flour to the uncooked pork and mix until well coated.
Add the diced pork (or other meat), diced onion, and garlic and cook up the meat is well browned and the onion is transparent.
Add the chopped green chiles. You can vary the amount of hot and mild chiles depending on how fierce you like your stew.
Add canned tomatoes (do not drain juice).
Heat mixture until it is boiling , then add the Chicken Broth and water. This is another option here - you can use any ration of broth/water you want - including all water or all broth. I generally use close to 1/2 each. Just 8 to 10 cups total.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer at least one hour - two is better.

Optional add ins: These can be added at the same time as the broth.
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 - 3 cups diced potatoes, boiled for twenty minutes in water prior to adding to the stew. Drain the potato water and add the cooked potatos to the stew with the broth.
Instead of the tomatoes substitute a jar of picante sauce.

Arrggghhh! thwap

I looked at the recipe and I forgot a ingredient/step (1/4 cup flour). I edited the recipe to add the flour.

BTW - if you aren't feeding 6 people like I am, you can just cut everything in half for a smaller batch.

thredlok said:
we need pics Dave biggrin

but damn it sounds good biggrin

No pics right now, but it's winter so I will make this fairly regularly. I'll take pics next time. On a cold day few foods can excced this. Along with a nice cold beer....

Back