Great Googly Moogly... and hail Kalamazoo!

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
A coworker just brought in the guitar that he inherited from his Grandfather. A 1958 Gibson ES 175 that his Grandpa bought brand new back in the day. EDIT: just figured out it's a 1955. He was surprised to hear that.

Wow....
ES1751.jpg

It plays really really nice for a 50 year old guitar... nice fat carve, low action... really sings.

ES1752.jpg

ES1753.jpg

The neck joint has never been broken and it actually looks thicker than many of the newer Gibsons with the shallow volute area.

ES1754.jpg

The cracks in the nitro and the little dings here and there just tell the story of this guitar. I can tell by the smooth surface of the rosewood bridge that his Grandpa would rest his palm against that edge and then pick with out stretched fingers. All the pickscratches on the (warped) bakelite pickguard are radiused out as if they came from that bass side post.

I'm jealous but happy for him. I told him that every time he plays the guitar he's connecting with his Grandpa.

Last edited:
VERY cool, but I bet his grandpa bought a leftover '57. By 1958, ES-175s had humbuckers in them.

Edit: Ah, I see you corrected the guitar's date, since I posted.

Last edited:
FWIW, the ES175 with dual pickups was called the ES175D.

Looks like a great guitar.

Back