Good rockabilly lessons?

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
Alright, I've got this Gretsch now. I've always wanted to get good at the rockabilly style (Chet Atkins, Brian Setzer). Any good resources / DVDs out there that you'd recommend? Mark, you got any Rockabilly lessons?

Lyle Brewer is a young guy from Boston that really has the style nailed. He has a bunch of great stuff on youtube as well.

There are a ton of materials out there, but I think Tim Lerch has some nice lessons for rockabilly.

Thanks guys! This is great stuff.

I may go the DVD / book route or get an instructor though. I'm interested in a more linear approach, i.e. here's where I am now, what steps do I need to take to get to point B. As opposed to learning a bunch of licks.

Having said that, I will go through all these vids and see what I can grab from them. Thanks again,

some cool stuff here,
especially the joe dalton part around 22:embarrassed:0
his stuff is very similar to redd volkaert

yeah i have a danny gattons video,
right next to my stash of arsenic.
dude is too good for mortals to even attempt
to emulate.

I have a transcription of "Blues Newburg" somewhere around here (an instrumental from "22 Elmira Street" ) - His phrasing in this tune brings to mind the phrase "Hillbilly Jeff Beck". Has one particularily difficult passage at the beginning of the second half of the lead break-some of those hyper-fast banjo style rolls that he does:

There's so much to this guy though- he has an amazing range of colours in his abilities- there's always that hidden ace up his sleeve. Eg- in Blues Newburg, listen to the incredibly melodic way he treats the fairly complex chord changes that lead to the turnaround just before the end (3:35 ). It comes out of nowhere in this tune, & it sounds like he could play jazz chord changes all day if he wanted to. Possibly the most well-rounded rockabilly guitarist I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Back