Goldtop Transmogrification...the sequel? [POLL inside]

Should I do it?

• Total voters
I say it's your guitar, and you can do whatever you want with it. Hey, if it doesn't turn out the way you hope, then you can still send it off to be refinished.

Why not just sell the 'baco sunburst and buy a stripped SC58 Goldtop?
That's a good question. The answer is, I really love this guitar. It plays very well, it sounds great, and it's comfortable. If it didn't have all three of these traits, it wouldn't be in my house right now, much less a candidate for a facelift. :)

I could put you in touch with a guy who has done many private stock finishes for PRS. On the birds and moons forum, they just call him "Paint Guy". :baimun:

IMG_0223.jpg

That's a good question. The answer is, I really love this guitar. It plays very well, it sounds great, and it's comfortable. If it didn't have all three of these traits, it wouldn't be in my house right now, much less a candidate for a facelift. :)
All the more reason to get a top notch professional respray

Another option..... a "Baimun" finish.

Sand the top down to the bare wood... only the top, leave the sides and back alone. Then Tru-Oil the natural top. :baimun:

joe245main_grande-sold_large.gif

Honestly, if I
Another option..... a "Baimun" finish.

Sand the top down to the bare wood... only the top, leave the sides and back alone. Then Tru-Oil the natural top. :baimun:

joe245main_grande-sold_large.gif
I've also considered this. The top does have some nice figure to it.

I had a 1956 Strat that some rube had decided to paint candy apple rattle can red years and years ago. I spent weeks carefully removing the red to reveal a gorgeous Mary Kaye blonde beneath. Luckily he hadn't stripped the original finish, but he did spray the knobs and they proved impossible to save. A set of genuine 56 knobs would cost a ton.
So, I would say leave it stock and let it age gracefully.

Back