Gol' dang it if J. Mascis does not give the best interviews!

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
J is definitely the coolest brosephus of musicians, I would /could totally hang with him. He also gives the BEST interviews. if you have never heard him in an interview you're in for a treat...He is a spaz!

But first a great perfomance of The wagon on Letterman 92...in rare spaz form

and here's a guitar lesson from him

He's definitely chillax. I like a lot of his stuff, but haven't been able to turn any pals on to him.

He holds a special place in my internal radio station. I totally remember when I bought Green Mind on cassette tape when it came out, one of those moments. I had been camping in New Mexico with my dad and I had brought along some alternative music mag similar to Spin but even more "alternative" and at the time Spin was pretty alternative relatively speaking, this was early 92 maybe 91. I read a little feature on the album and the next day when we got back to Tucson I went down to the record store as soon as they opened it and bought it.
Before this I was all about 1960's/70's rock with a bit of REM and Janes Addiction.
The Dino sound was something unique, had those laid back vocals, jangly pop quality but with a wall of sound and unlike punk it had guitar solos. Can't remember if it came out before Nirvana broke big or right after but it was different. Along with pavement those are two bands that hold up for meperhaps because neither was over played and they both kinda were unique , maybe the cliche "ahead of their time" sound. I remember trying to get a couple people into him, never panned out though :embarrassed:

Green Mind was the first CD I had by him, maybe 1995 or so, I like the one with the Bowie Quicksand mashup and the one with I Don't Think So a lot. It's been awhile since I listened to him.

Green Mind was the first CD I had by him, maybe 1995 or so, I like the one with the Bowie Quicksand mashup and the one with I Don't Think So a lot. It's been awhile since I listened to him.

Yep the Bowie quicksand is good too :thu: I hadn't listened to Green Mind in years and looking at the songs I see Hot Burrito #2. I now know it's a Flying Burrito Bros. song but at the time I thought he wrote it :facepalm:

Yep the Bowie quicksand is good too :thu: I hadn't listened to Green Mind in years and looking at the songs I see Hot Burrito #2. I now know it's a Flying Burrito Bros. song but at the time I thought he wrote it :facepalm:

Shit, my copy doesn't have that one. Crowes do pretty good cover of HB # 1 & 2. Other faves on Whatever's Cool With Me are Sideways and Pebbles & Weeds.

Much like yourself I listened to ALOT of REM from say 89-92 or so.

Shit, my copy doesn't have that one. Crowes do pretty good cover of HB # 1 & 2. Other faves on Whatever's Cool With Me are Sideways and Pebbles & Weeds.

I listened to a lot of REM too. I think I can play most of their catalog. They are one of the few bands that I actually sat down to learn their tunes. Peter Buck is my favorite guitar player and Mike Mills is my favorite bassist.

Hmm maybe it wasn't on the original copy I recently downloaded the reissue because my original was on cassette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to a lot of REM too. I think I can play most of their catalog. They are one of the few bands that I actually sat down to learn their tunes. Peter Buck is my favorite guitar player and Mike Mills is my favorite bassist.

I used to play a few- Kouhoutek, Pale Blue Eyes and Femme Fatale covers, World Leader Pretend, Driver 8 come to mind.

I used to play a few- Kouhoutek, Pale Blue Eyes and Femme Fatale covers, World Leader Pretend, Driver 8 come to mind.
From about 89 to 92 REM was the soundtrack to every camping trip I went on. Fables and life's rich pageant were the ones that did it for me but murmur and reckoning were played a lot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But first a great perfomance of The wagon on Letterman 92...in rare spaz form

Ugh, Letterman's band ruined so many performances from that era. Why the fuck did they insist on having those guys play along when they had bands on the show? I loved Letterman in those days, but it was always a drag when they had good bands on 'cause you knew they were going to get neutered by the Paul Schaffer hack band treatment. Murph looks like he's trying to break that... whatever the fuck it is he's banging on.

REM played on their own in '83 when they were unknowns, I wonder when the policy changed and why?

Back