Going to see Beck in New Orleans...

VoidTerraFirma

Live to wine
This weekend. Haven't been there in 15 years. In Saturday, out Monday.

Where should I eat?
Where should I drink?
Blackbird Chain?

It's been many years, but one of the best meals I've ever had was blackened catfish at a joint called the Alpine Cafe at St. Peter & Chartes off of Jackson Square. Can't hurt to see if it's still there. That was a hell of a lunch.

Also, you're practically obligated to check out whoever is playing at Tipitina's while you're there. They won't suck.

I saw him at Merriweather Post a few months ago. Good show. Hopefully Sean Lennon's band is still opening.

It's been many years, but one of the best meals I've ever had was blackened catfish at a joint called the Alpine Cafe at St. Peter & Chartes off of Jackson Square. Can't hurt to see if it's still there. That was a hell of a lunch.

Alpine Cafe closed, which is fine as it really declined after Katrina.

Maybe Cafe Pontalba on St. Peter right next to Jackson Square is still good? Perhaps Market Cafe or the French Market Restaurant on Decatur and St. Philip at the Joan of Arc statue.

Last edited:
Alpine Cafe closed, which is fine as it really declined after Katrina.

That's too bad. When I lived in Tuscaloosa it was only a four hour drive to New Orleans so we'd make the trip pretty regularly. The last time I was there was when I was living in Nashville. This was March 2004, the year of Katrina.

It's been years, but two of my favorite watering holes were The Dragon's Den (in the Quarter), and Nick's Big Train Bar (on Tulane).
Enjoy the show!

I might try this place next visit. The ratings are pretty high and the prices aren't evil.
EAT New Orleans
casual • classic • creole • cajun
900 Dumaine Street

Sounds like fun! Last time I was there was well before Katrina, so I cannot advise on eats, etc. just walk around and look. You'll find something good.

We took a cooking class at The NOLA School of Cooking or something like that. Way better food than any restaurant we went to, and about the same price as most.

I've only been to NO in '92, and the only 'fancy' restaurant we ate at was Deanie's

http://www.deanies.com

My friend Ric, who was from Metarie, took us there. I thought it was nice without being super-ritzey/expensive. Reading some recent reviews on google, however, it appears they may have gone down-hill lately.

Back