Mojo Request Going In For Surgery Soon

speakerjones

my hat is all
So, this is my first mojo request. I'm not one to generally ask for such things, but this is pretty major. Back in October, I was diagnosed with cancer in my right lung. Though the exact type and origin of the cancer was never positively identified, they moved forward with treatment as if it were stage 3 lung cancer. I was a smoker for about 15 years. though I quit 8 years ago. I'm 39 now. Anyway, treatment had enough positive effect that my docs felt I was a candidate for surgery, and that would be my best chance of beating this thing.

I was referred to a hotshot thoracic surgeon in NYC who will be heading up the operation, removing the cancer and most likely much or all of the right lung, along with a cardiovascular guy (they may end up rebuilding the vena cava), a neurosurgeon (there's a nerve cluster right there that controls my right hand) and a plastic surgeon to put me back together again. They gave me a 90% success rate, so I'm pretty confident that all will go well, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about that 10% chance of losing right hand function or kicking it altogether. Spent a lot of time over the past week with my wife and two little girls. I've been a bit of an emotional mess.

I'm on the train heading into the city and go under the knife at 8:30 am eastern. I'd appreciate whatever prayers/mojo/vibes y'all are willing to send my way. I'll likely end up in the hospital for the better part of a couple weeks, with a long-ass recovery process to follow. I won't be back on here for a couple of days, I imagine, but will update as I'm able. Thanks to Mark and you all for a great spot to hang out online!

- Jesse

Major mojo.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good chance. If they're going in, that usually means that it's no longer spreading.

Best of luck and here's hoping for a comfortable recovery. I'd say speedy recovery, but fuck it. Take your time and do it right.

as mongoose above, you won't see this till your out. Here's mojo for a full, quick and smooth sailing recovery !

Mojo. When I was a kid, I had lymphoma. A few years into remission, they found a spot on my lung and had to go it to try to remove it. There was a chance for a collapsed lung and all kinds of craziness. Luckily for me, it was just some scaring from the radiation I had to get rid of the lymphoma a few years earlier. I still was in the hospital for a few weeks recovering. Hopefully your surgery will go off as smoothly as mine and you will be back out in less time than they thought.

Back