Gluten free what?

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
So wife wants to try doing the gluten free thing. I don't really care except every time we've tried a sweeping diet change we crash and burn miserably. Also, I must admit I see it as a fad diet. I know there is a portion of the population that is allergic, so obviously there would be a benefit for them, but for the rest of us?

I'm just skeptical I guess. Any time I've given anything up and supposed to feel better I don't. Or the change is so minimal it's not worth giving it up in the first place.

I'm already on day three of no alcohol, am I supposed to give up pizza too? :cry:

/rant

You can have my pizza when you pry it from my cold, greasy, dead hand!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
The only way a gluten free diet is effective (and that's if you have an existing celiac disease problem that glutens agitate) is if you are absolutely, without a doubt not consume ANY glutens. It takes 2+ weeks to realize the benefits, and again, only if you have an existing problem with glutens. Also, there is no such thing as a gluten allergy, contrary to popular belief.

Avoid all food and drinks containing:
  • Barley (malt, malt flavoring and malt vinegar are usually made from barley)
  • Rye
  • Triticale (a cross between wheat and rye)
  • Wheat
In other words
fuck that shit!

Last edited:
Since my wife's gastro-intestinal surgery she's had some changes in how certain foods digest, can't eat other foods, etc. She's being tested for gluten intollerance and a few other things.

She's already said that she would only make me eat gluten free dinners part of the week. (I'll take care of my own breakfast and lunch and carb load then. :wink: )

If she ends up with any dietary restrictions it will not affect what I order for carry out, or beer, so I'm okay. :grin:

My wife has an issue with Gluten and people ask her all the time about how they can lose weight like she did this year. Her response is that it's easy if your motivation is not being in horrible pain or being stuck in the bathroom all day. If you don't have Celiacs or anything like that you should probably not do the gluten free thing since it's not terribly healthy.

My wife's chiropractor says otherwise. :facepalm: Also dairy. That one's not gonna happen though. Haha.

My wife's chiropractor says otherwise. :facepalm: Also dairy. That one's not gonna happen though. Haha.
Chiropractors do that. Just like they always need to do maintenance treatments. I would speak to an actual nutritionist, Doctor or dietician before doing the gluten-free thing.

The only way a gluten free diet is effective (and that's if you have an existing celiac disease problem that glutens agitate) is if you are absolutely, without a doubt not consume ANY glutens. It takes 2+ weeks to realize the benefits, and again, only if you have an existing problem with glutens. Also, there is no such thing as a gluten allergy, contrary to popular belief.

Avoid all food and drinks containing:
  • Barley (malt, malt flavoring and malt vinegar are usually made from barley)
  • Rye
  • Triticale (a cross between wheat and rye)
  • Wheat
In other words
fuck that shit!
Good to hear from your healthcare giver perspective. That makes me worry less about eating my whole grain hippy food I like. But I have made some pretty good strides avoiding simple carbs and all refined flours, etc. (I cheat once in a while for good bread at a dinner, or some pasta once in a while, but am really trying to avoid anything refined.) I still like my whole grain hippy stuff, but am trying to eat less of that in favor of more vegetable, greens and fruit, or a handful of raw nuts (almonds or walnuts) if I am hungry. Peanut butter (adams brand) is still my bane though. It is hard to stay away from that stuff if I have the munchies. not that it is refined, but it is high calorie.

Oh yeah, and I still drink beer, and I still will eat a flour tortilla as part of a meal sometimes, as that is a quick family meal ingredient at our house sometimes. But I am trying to avoid them as much as I can.

Just trying to improve the quality of calories overall. Seems to help in my advancing middle age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
I don't believe in the gluten-free/paleo thing. I just can't do it. My sister is super-paleo and she refuses to go back. It works for some people and not others. You gotta do what's best for you. I'd have no problem if my wife went gluten free. I'd still eat it everywhere else.

Though we did not eat super poorly, I had a hard time getting going too. Especially when we are feeding kids. They are not likely to eat according to our health whims. For me, it started with taking charge of my morning, which I did by using a vitamix to juice with, using lots of greens, and some fruit, some flax seeds, some ginger, etc. If I buy the bag of baby kale (pre washed) and some pre washed spinach in a bag and put it in the freezer, along with some frozen pineapple and berries (all of this from Costco) then breakfast is as easy as grabbing some handfuls of this and that and making a smoothy. Then I started focusing on salads, or salad type stuff in a whole grain, sprouted this or that wrap. And for snacks, apples, bananas, carrots, etc. then I eat whatever is for dinner, but watch my portions, as the family dinner will be less strict. If tortillas are involved, I try to have some whole grain, sprouted, etc. type available rather than the refined flour kind. The big step was avoiding after dinner munchies, or if I did have the munchies, to get a bowl of frozen berries or something instead of whatever processed chips or dessert type stuff was around. Once I got on a roll, it was easier. But not making any eating decision the end all, be all and allowing some room for being human helped me to improve overall, without having to feel like I wanted to rebel or quit.

so pizza once in a while for family dinner still happens once in while. But I slacked a little too much the last few weeks, so I am getting a little more disciplined again, especially as I signed up to do the YMCA corp challenge for the ski school team.

Hello, I'm Tig and I'm a glutton for gluten.
pancakes.jpg

Hell, yes! drool0

I get pretty annoyed at the paleo zealots primarily because they get a little overboard on the caveman thing in general but also about the fear mongering over gluten. Not everyone has celiac and is going to have a painful reaction to eating bread. At the same time, grains are not necessary and probably are not the best food choice we can make. The more reasonable arguments against eating them are basically that because of how they are structured, it is difficult to actually get the nutritional elements from them so in affect, the calories are somewhat empty. In other words, there are better sources for those nutrients without the gluten, which doesnt really have a positive value to us. I have read some things about how they arent great for the walls of the intestines either but I havent really done any research on it.

So yeah, I think the villainizing of gluten is a bit much but there is certainly merit to the idea of avoiding or at least limiting grains. I'm not sure what would be unhealthy about it. I had done a lot of reading on the subject about a year ago and found it to make sense. I followed a program called the Whole 30 where you cut out grains, sugar, alcohol, and dairy for 30 days and then start to add things back slowly to see if they had an affect on you. I figured that was far better than just getting my information from the internet, right? What I found was that first of all I lost over 30 lbs in about 3 months. I also found that I am ok with dairy but too much dairy isnt great for anyone. I also found that I dont have a real problem with rice. But I did notice differences with wheat products. I felt more sluggish after eating a pasta meal, even the next day. I also found that I over ate when I had pasta or bread. Even if I felt full, I couldnt stop eating. So I base my opinions on my own experiment. I am better off if I avoid grains as much as I can but I dont stress out if my only option is a sandwich.

What I absolutely wont do is eat "gluten free" products as in gluten free bread. That just sounds nasty. I just do without bread. The basic meal guidelines I have learned to follow is a piece of protein and fill the rest of the plate with vegetables. Add some healthy fat like avacado or olive oil and it is a great meal. So meats, fish, poultry, eggs and lots of fruits and veggies and some nuts and healthy fat. Seems healthy to me. Adn when I eat like that I feel great, I really enjoy the meals, and I am satisfied.

I think I'm going to look into this.

There is a book called "It Starts With Food". The authors came up with this thing and the book actually has some pretty good information about how your body deals with food. And as far as the Whole 30 was concerned, it seems super hard when you read it but when I tried it, I found it easy. The biggest problem ends up being when you have to go to a function that is serving food. The book is worth a read either way.

There is a book called "It Starts With Food". The authors came up with this thing and the book actually has some pretty good information about how your body deals with food. And as far as the Whole 30 was concerned, it seems super hard when you read it but when I tried it, I found it easy. The biggest problem ends up being when you have to go to a function that is serving food. The book is worth a read either way.
Actually if I eat what my wife eats I'm halfway there already. I'm going to get the book today I think. IIRC you mentioned this on the forum year or so ago too...

Back