Gil Yaron Bone Voyage

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Gil Yaron Bone Voyage

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/component/hikashop/item/1057-gil-yaron-bone-voyage

$14,500.00

item is in stock

DESCRIPTION:
The latest offering from Gil Yaron's Bone Series is guaranteed to blow your minds while bathing you in the most glorious hollow-body archtop tones one could imagine. Welcome the Bone Voyage, designed to be a crossbreed between the Bone-I and a classic archtop while keeping the size of the Bone-I (13"). It fits in an LP size case, is light as a feather and performs like a workhorse with its rigid construction, projecting glorious archtop tone without feedback.

"This build was inspired by some ideas I had in regards to fully hollow arch-top guitars. I love arch-tops on many levels. The tone, the appearance and craftsmanship make them the most advanced and time consuming guitar for builders, and in many cases, the determining factor between being a 'builder' and a 'luthier'.

"These instruments were designed many years ago for orchestra players, before the electric guitar and amp were invented, and the goal was to project the loudest possible sound in order to allow the guitar to mix nicely with the other loud orchestra instruments. This was the reason for the larger size with the arched top and back (similar to classical stringed instruments such as the violin). The basic idea is to capture the string vibrations from the bridge with the vibrating top, which reflects the vibrations to the back of the guitar where the level is magnified and projected out. The top and back of these guitars have a complicated relationship and a good luthier is able to tune them properly to maximize the free vibrations and get the desired projection.

"Today there's less and less demand for arch-tops and although I'm not here to judge or point out the reasons, I assume it has to do with both music styles and playing comfort.

"I've been trying to find a good reason to come up with an arch-top design, something that will make sense and take advantage of the 'projection' but would still be usable for the modern player. Something that one can use as a platform for both acoustic playing in the living room with the kids and family or play amplified in the studio or on stage without the feedback.

"The Bone Voyage is my attempt at doing all the above." - Gil Yaron

The missing link between the archtop and electric guitar is finally here!

SPECS:
- True archtop design with 13" body and 24 3/4" scale
- One piece carved maple top and back with integrated X bracing
- One piece solid Brazilian rosewood neck (CITES certified)
- Floating neck joint
- Cuban mahogany 1 piece carved rim
- Gil Yaron truss-rod system (as found on all Bone line models)
- Tortoise celluloid binding

- New AirGap-II P90 pickups
- 2 volume, 2 tone and 3 way toggle
- Brazilian rosewood dual bridge system
- Brazilian rosewood pickguard
- Old school materials and build methods as seen on all Gil Yaron builds

PRICING INFO:
- $14,500.00

Brazilian rosewood neck? Drool.... not a fan of the color, but I bet it plays like buttered sex.

Only if it's hand delivered by Amy Adams and Kate Mara with a suitcase of blow and dinner made to order by Anthony Bourdain...

The headstock is the only bummer on that guitar.

(and the price)
OK, when you have Doug talking about price... LOL

What would you place that guitar's value at? I don't like it for my own personal reasons, but I'd say fair value would be $5500-$6000.

OK, when you have Doug talking about price... LOL

What would you place that guitar's value at? I don't like it for my own personal reasons, but I'd say fair value would be $5500-$6000.
this is an interesting question, actually. I know Gil has some unique practices, etc., but how much of this is name at this point? maybe there's enough materials and labor here for a 14K guitar. I honestly don't know.

These prices are relatively commonplace on high-end acoustics, and yet I don't hear people complain as loudly with regard to those examples...

this is an interesting question, actually. I know Gil has some unique practices, etc., but how much of this is name at this point? maybe there's enough materials and labor here for a 14K guitar. I honestly don't know.

These prices are relatively commonplace on high-end acoustics, and yet I don't hear people complain as loudly with regard to those examples...
You've obviously not heard me...:embarrassed:

Back