Gibson vs. PRS playability

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Sooo... I've been playing my PRS exclusively for a couple of years and finally got my Les Paul tuned up and started playing it again and it was like a reunion with an old friend. For some reason I play better on the LP... faster, more fluid and my vibrato is better.

I'm wondering why the difference is between PRS and Gibson playability. I will say the LP's action is a bit lower and I know the scale length is different, only 1/4 inch though. I have small hands and the PRS neck is the "wide/thin" model... I think the LP's neck is a bit narrower.

Any thoughts from PRS/Gibson users?

At their best, they make fine instruments that play like butter. And well they should, since they're both overpriced.

The scale length absolutely does make a difference, and it's one with pros and cons.

But this is the bottom line issue:

"For some reason I play better on the LP... faster, more fluid and my vibrato is better."

My philosophy, especially when it comes down to well-made instruments, it's that it's the responsibility of the player to figure out what the instrument requires, and to make the correct adjustments accordingly. Every single instrument has its own personality. Personally, I really enjoy that process, and I guess it's because I enjoy the learning process.

Flip-side, some people want the guitar that's perfectly made for them, rather than having to make adjustments. I've found that those players are rarely satisfied, and tend to perpetually be buying, selling, flipping, and/or trading. As my grandmother used to say, it's easier to wear slippers than it is to carpet the planet.

The question that immediately came to my mind: "what made you exclusively play the PRS for a couple of years if you play noticeably better on the LP?"

the PRS wide/thin is the same nut width as the Les Paul, IIRC. Lower action on one particular guitar over another would make a difference (more so than scale length for speed and/or "fluidity").

If you just had the LP tuned up and have been playing the PRS for a while without a break, then you might be experiencing a "honeymoon" period of sorts - the different feel and appearance of the Les Paul is inspiring you differently than the PRS and so it's translating into a different (and better from the sound of it) playing experience for you. not a bad thing; just a different angle to consider.

The question that immediately came to my mind: "what made you exclusively play the PRS for a couple of years if you play noticeably better on the LP?"

the PRS wide/thin is the same nut width as the Les Paul, IIRC. Lower action on one particular guitar over another would make a difference (more so than scale length for speed and/or "fluidity").

If you just had the LP tuned up and have been playing the PRS for a while without a break, then you might be experiencing a "honeymoon" period of sorts - the different feel and appearance of the Les Paul is inspiring you differently than the PRS and so it's translating into a different (and better from the sound of it) playing experience for you. not a bad thing; just a different angle to consider.

I got the PRS a few years ago and since it's more versatile I play it with the band... can get more tones out of it and don't have to switch guitars. Also has the trem bar that I use now and then. The LP's frets got oxidized and scratchy so I just had it as a backup. Then I had the LP tuned up, frets lightly dressed and like I said it was like rediscovering an old friend.

The LP has great tone as well, but it's not that versatile. I might be going back to two guitars at gigs!

BTW my LP look s a LOT like the one in your avatar pic. It has dots for position markers but it's a tobacco sunburst with gold hardware.

RIP OOLONG

IMO, playability is the result of all dimension and contour factors. But we respond to them differently. To me and my small hands, nut width and neck contour mean a lot more to me than fretboard radius. Conversely, @Mark Wein says that neck contour matters less, and for him it's all about the radius. Fret size, scale length, and even body shape play into all of that.

Personally, I'll take the guitar that plays better and bend the tone to my liking. And as it turns out, I like Paul's approach a lot better than Henry's. Just keep the gaudy stuff away.

RIP OOLONG

IMO, playability is the result of all dimension and contour factors. But we respond to them differently. To me and my small hands, nut width and neck contour mean a lot more to me than fretboard radius. Conversely, @Mark Wein says that neck contour matters less, and for him it's all about the radius. Fret size, scale length, and even body shape play into all of that.

Personally, I'll take the guitar that plays better and bend the tone to my liking. And as it turns out, I like Paul's approach a lot better than Henry's. Just keep the gaudy stuff away.

Ahh yes, poor Oolong... Those were the good old days!

I got the PRS a few years ago and since it's more versatile I play it with the band... can get more tones out of it and don't have to switch guitars. Also has the trem bar that I use now and then. The LP's frets got oxidized and scratchy so I just had it as a backup. Then I had the LP tuned up, frets lightly dressed and like I said it was like rediscovering an old friend.

The LP has great tone as well, but it's not that versatile. I might be going back to two guitars at gigs!

two guitars at gigs is always a great idea! i used to bring two to shows when i was gigging. ironically, I usually brought a LP and a PRS. small world!

i think it's possible to get a lot of different tones out of a Les Paul (or any two-humbucker instrument for that matter). in addition to the 3-way toggle switch, the tone knobs and volume knobs are often overlooked, but very useful in this way.

the LP in my avatar pic is my ol' faithful silverburst custom. it's a great guitar, and i personally love the look. i'd love to see pics of your guitars if you're able to post any.

two guitars at gigs is always a great idea! i used to bring two to shows when i was gigging. ironically, I usually brought a LP and a PRS. small world!

i think it's possible to get a lot of different tones out of a Les Paul (or any two-humbucker instrument for that matter). in addition to the 3-way toggle switch, the tone knobs and volume knobs are often overlooked, but very useful in this way.

the LP in my avatar pic is my ol' faithful silverburst custom. it's a great guitar, and i personally love the look. i'd love to see pics of your guitars if you're able to post any.

Here's an old pic of me with my LP:

24341_110536275651920_5872469_n.jpg

I understand the feeling of reuniting with an old friend. It's amazing how a guitar can be set aside for quite a while, and then when you pick it up again you wonder why you ever set it aside, because it's such an awesome player. In the end, I think it keeps things fresh for us. If I was a well known musician with a signature sound it would be different, but I'm not. I get the privilege of going in a new direction whenever I feel like it.

cvogue, it's entirely possible that refreshing the LP makes it appealing, as well. Whatever it is, enjoy it!

I generally took 3 guitars to my gigs. Single coil (strat), dbl. humbucker (LP) & an acoustic. That covered all bases. Nowadays I don't gig that often but when I jam or play in the studio, I try to rotate the stock and play a different guitar every time. Each one is a good friend.
0c245bdf78d5018d7ed934f76d51431a.jpg
0a74e63b511bdf735db651ffdeecd66d.jpg

Last edited:
I generally took 3 guitars to my gigs. Single coil (strat), dbl. humbucker (LP) & an acoustic. That covered all bases. Nowadays I don't gig that often but when I jam or play in the studio, I try to rotate the stock and play a different guitar every time. Each one is a good friend.
0c245bdf78d5018d7ed934f76d51431a.jpg
0a74e63b511bdf735db651ffdeecd66d.jpg

Nice LP custom!

Rip oolong!!!

I ended up selling my LP a while back because my Prs could get just about the same tones and more. The Prs also plays better by a mile

In the end, always do what's best for you when you're playing.

Back