Gibson Memphis Factory

altoidman

aka McCartyman
So I toured the semi-hollow and hollowbody factory today. Was pretty cool. Played a few 335's trying to find an excuse to buy one. I really liked the Warren Haynes signature's tone but the setup on the floor model was way to high for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398303064.062354.jpg

I really like the 335s, but the prices on those things have really shot through the roof lately (can't touch 'em for less than $3K....).

Been there. The prices at the factory store are stupid high. They wanted $70 for a t shirt. Do they still refuse to let you take pictures in the factory?

Been there. The prices at the factory store are stupid high. They wanted $70 for a t shirt. Do they still refuse to let you take pictures in the factory?

Yeah they even said if they saw a phone out, they would stop the tour and call security.

The tour itself was pretty scripted but it's a noisy factory floor; they have to do it that way. At the last stop the tour guide took all the time we wanted and fielded about 20 good questions from the crowd.

Just a weird observation from a relative n00b (I joined this forum a year ago, but have only posted a couple of times).

What caught my eye in the opening post of this thread was the phrase "semi-hollow". When they were first introduced, Gibson made a big deal about pushing the phrase "semi-solid" when referring to 335 style guitars. "Semi-solid" was used in Gibson ads, sales posters, and books on Gibson history including one that I have called "Gibson Electrics".

Now, it seems that Gibson refers to 335 style guitars as "semi-hollow". I went to Gibson's website and searched for "semi-solid" and got nine hits, none of which referred to 335 style guitars. When I searched for "semi-hollow", it returned 130 hits, most referring to 335 style guitars. Upon further inspection of the nine hits, I found that most of them were Les Paul docs. They weren't referring to LP's directly, just saying that the maple-mahogany two-piece body was unique to LP's and their "semi-solid" counterparts.

It looks like when first introduced, Gibson wanted 335's to be thought of as more like solid bodies, then more recently decided they want them to be thought of as less like solid bodies. It seems some marketing genius a-hole decided to change all of the 335 ads/docs to say semi-hollow but forgot to scour all references to the term semi-solid in other ads/docs.

Again, just a weird observation from someone who has too much free time today.

PS Full disclosure: I'm an old guy so I prefer the term semi-solid. Also, I own a '98 335 and it weighs a ton.

Just a weird observation from a relative n00b (I joined this forum a year ago, but have only posted a couple of times).

What caught my eye in the opening post of this thread was the phrase "semi-hollow". When they were first introduced, Gibson made a big deal about pushing the phrase "semi-solid" when referring to 335 style guitars. "Semi-solid" was used in Gibson ads, sales posters, and books on Gibson history including one that I have called "Gibson Electrics".

Now, it seems that Gibson refers to 335 style guitars as "semi-hollow". I went to Gibson's website and searched for "semi-solid" and got nine hits, none of which referred to 335 style guitars. When I searched for "semi-hollow", it returned 130 hits, most referring to 335 style guitars. Upon further inspection of the nine hits, I found that most of them were Les Paul docs. They weren't referring to LP's directly, just saying that the maple-mahogany two-piece body was unique to LP's and their "semi-solid" counterparts.

It looks like when first introduced, Gibson wanted 335's to be thought of as more like solid bodies, then more recently decided they want them to be thought of as less like solid bodies. It seems some marketing genius a-hole decided to change all of the 335 ads/docs to say semi-hollow but forgot to scour all references to the term semi-solid in other ads/docs.

Again, just a weird observation from someone who has too much free time today.

PS Full disclosure: I'm an old guy so I prefer the term semi-solid. Also, I own a '98 335 and it weighs a ton.

Post is suspicious...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they even said if they saw a phone out, they would stop the tour and call security.

The tour itself was pretty scripted but it's a noisy factory floor; they have to do it that way. At the last stop the tour guide took all the time we wanted and fielded about 20 good questions from the crowd.

It's not like they are building nuclear weapons there... there isn't much to let out of the bag there. LOL

Back