Dig it! Gibson LP Special p90 review

Just got back from GC....they are selling a set of Sperzel locking tuners for $92.00!!! Fuck that. I came home and bought a set of Grover locking tuners for $62. Saved $30. I probably could have found some a little cheaper if I wanted to shop around more.
Instant gratification isn't worth $30 in this case.

Ordered in Heritage Cherry with $20 off coupon.

"Even if you don't like the guitar, I'm positive you could flip it for at least what you paid and maybe even turn a small profit."

That was the final convincer, thanks!

Ordered in Heritage Cherry with $20 off coupon.

"Even if you don't like the guitar, I'm positive you could flip it for at least what you paid and maybe even turn a small profit."

That was the final convincer, thanks!
Just this morning when I was changing the nut on my D.C., I was wondering if you decided to pull the trigger.....

This morning I pulled the G-Force off of the guitar and replaced it with a set of locking Grover tuners and guess what??
It actually stays in tune now! Whodda thunkit?

Also got my LP Standard back today from having a pickup install done and replacing the pcb board with standard electronics.
The new pickups are ridiculously awesome.
(Super Distortion and PAF 36th Anny).

Mine came in Friday, but I was busy doing stuff all weekend until this afternoon, so I just got the chance to try it out.

First impressions:
  • Love the neck pickup
  • Like the bridge pickup, but will have to do some adjustments to get the right clear, fat tone I'm looking for
  • The neck is quite different from any other guitar I regularly play; wider and flatter. It's going to take some getting used to, but I don't mind it
  • Fit and finish are very good; gorgeous in fact. The body is quite comfortable for a non-contoured flat-top
  • Electronically I'm happy, except for the slight switch crackle between middle and bridge positions. The sweep of the tone knob is quite usable
  • Robot tuners: The jury is still out. It works but, perhaps because these are new stock strings, the B and high E keep going out. I'm swapping it to .10s or .11s so perhaps that will help.
So far, so good.

Mine came in Friday, but I was busy doing stuff all weekend until this afternoon, so I just got the chance to try it out.

First impressions:
  • Love the neck pickup
  • Like the bridge pickup, but will have to do some adjustments to get the right clear, fat tone I'm looking for
  • The neck is quite different from any other guitar I regularly play; wider and flatter. It's going to take some getting used to, but I don't mind it
  • Fit and finish are very good; gorgeous in fact. The body is quite comfortable for a non-contoured flat-top
  • Electronically I'm happy, except for the slight switch crackle between middle and bridge positions. The sweep of the tone knob is quite usable
  • Robot tuners: The jury is still out. It works but, perhaps because these are new stock strings, the B and high E keep going out. I'm swapping it to .10s or .11s so perhaps that will help.
So far, so good.
Email Gibson and get the replacement nut. In about 2 weeks you will already start to see the strings cutting grooves into the zero fret. They will send you out one for free.
I agree that the neck pickup is really, really good. I lowered the bridge pickup a bit and some of the high end harshness went away but not completely. That pickup may warrant a swap at some point as it's just "ok".
There are also replacement tailpieces available that have adjustments for intonation at the saddles. So far this tailpiece seems to be doing its job so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Give the G-Force a little time and see how you like it. I tried to bond with it for a few weeks but just couldn't. The concept of it is a really good idea, the execution is another thing. Maybe with a few more tweaks it might be a good product but for me I prefer the standard tuners.

Here's my selector ring
upload_2017-9-12_14-14-31.png

Btw, an enterprising manufacturer figured out people would want pickguards for these, because (don't get mad at me for sexist pic, it's from their ad!) :

ew9c6huaejgutuf255ec.jpg

Here's a link to sale:
https://reverb.com/item/2579958-moj...-usa-double-cut-les-paul-special-dc-doublecut

Frankly, I woulda preferred that they made the bottom edge more "square," and just put a notch in it for the pot, but it's better than the guitar being nekkid, I reckon.

At any rate, fyi fwiw ymmv.

Back