Dig it! Gibson LP Special p90 review

Discussion in 'Guitars, Guitars Guitars!' started by gtrjunior, Aug 12, 2017.

Aug 12, 2017
  1. gtrjunior Wannabe

I got the same case that Punk Kitty did (no surprise there). It's actually a really nice case despite the fact that it's gold...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's got a no frills layout with no binding on the body but it does have one on the neck. One vol, one tone and a 3-way. The wood grain is nice and the paint job is also nice. There are no glaring issues in that department.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bridge is different than I've seen. It doesn't seem to have adjustable saddles, rather a "preset" string length. It doesn't seem to be a problem as the intonation is good all the way up the neck. I haven't checked it with a tuner but it sounds good by ear.
    [​IMG]

It has the G-Force tuning system.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. In theory, the concept is awesome. In practice, so far I'm not 100% sold on it yet.
    I know the strings are probably not fully stretched and of course it needed to adjust to the humidity changes. However, sometimes it goes right into tune perfectly and other times I don't know wtf it's doing! I watched some YouTube vids and apparently you can manually tune like a regular guitar say, you're on stage and your G string needs a tweak....but the robot tuners are pretty stiff to try to turn by hand and I'm not convinced it's doing much when I turn them. It doesn't work like a regular tuner when you do it by hand....that said, I need to spend more time figuring out its idiosyncrasies.

The neck is in fact wider and slightly flatter than my Standard 60's slim taper. The Standard is more comfy to me but I'm very used to it. The Special was pretty easy to adjust to as well, it just took a bit of playing time and before you know it you're not thinking about it anymore.
    The neck p90 sounds fantastic both under gain and clean. It has a really nice "chub" when playing single notes with gain and on the clean channel has a great low end with plenty of power and no farting out.
    The bridge pup is good, not great. It gets the typical p90 snarl but for my tastes is just a bit high end-y. I'd like something just a little warmer. Easy fix if I decide to swap pickups eventually.
    All in all it's a really good guitar! It's not going to replace my Standard as my #1 but it's definitely going to have a place in the arsenal!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Aug 12, 2017
  3. VoidTerraFirma Burl Purpleburst

It is sorta pretty...in a "mutt at the pound" kinda way. :)

Congrats!

Modern Saint and gtrjunior like this.
  4. Aug 12, 2017
  5. wagdog Ack

Congrats!

Maybe drop the height of the bridge pup?

gtrjunior likes this.
  6. Aug 12, 2017
  7. gtrjunior Wannabe

It is pretty high

wagdog likes this.
  8. Aug 12, 2017
  9. gtrjunior Wannabe

Hey, I'm a dog lover...what can I say..lol

VoidTerraFirma likes this.
  10. Aug 12, 2017
  11. wagdog Ack

Give it a try. Most pickups are just installed at the factory to whatever their standard spec is. It's not neccasarily where they sound best.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    gtrjunior and Brian Krashpad like this.
  12. Aug 12, 2017
  13. Brian Krashpad T1N2bM0

Congrats!

Krash big fan of P-90s. Make him talk like Tarzan.

[​IMG]

14. Aug 12, 2017
  15. Chad bedroom widdler

Nice

gtrjunior likes this.
  16. Aug 12, 2017
  17. Knox in Box Rustbelt refugee.

Having a nice "chub" would have meant something totally different where I grew up.

18. Aug 13, 2017
  19. wok Dead But Dreaming

fixed :lol:

VoidTerraFirma, gtrjunior and Bob411 like this.
  20. Aug 13, 2017
  21. Lerxst spaghetti and blankets

HnGD

When I had a SG Classic, I liked rolling a little bit of the top end off the bridge w/ the vol knob.

gtrjunior likes this.
  22. Aug 13, 2017
  23. gtrjunior Wannabe

It has a different meaning here too...lol
    But it is a fitting description of the pickup too.

Knox in Box likes this.
  24. Aug 13, 2017
  25. gtrjunior Wannabe

I do use the volume knob to decrease gain and to "lighten" the tone etc, but I like to get my desired tone with it full open and then roll off when needed.

26. Aug 13, 2017
  27. Guitar Heel The Keymaster

HNJD!
    beavis0

gtrjunior likes this.
  28. Aug 13, 2017
  29. Lerxst spaghetti and blankets

Derp, that should have been tone knob...just to take a little high end off the bridge pickup.

gtrjunior likes this.
  30. Aug 14, 2017
  31. RogerF Little Hot Wing

Congrats. Looks like a real rock 'n roll machine and nothing wrong with a gold case. Chub tone for the win. Like "Popa Chubby" like "GtrJunior Chubby."

gtrjunior likes this.
  32. Aug 14, 2017
  33. bsman b00b

Your thread just inspired me to take out my LP Special P90 last night (I've mostly been playing my teles lately). One thing I love about the P90s -- it's almost impossible to find an amp setting that DOESN'T sound good with them!

gtrjunior likes this.
  34. Aug 14, 2017
  35. DFB Vagabond of a Western State

That is a hot looking guitar.
    chub worthy. lol

Enjoy

gtrjunior likes this.
  36. Aug 14, 2017
  37. BlockInlay Stay on target.

IMG_7127.JPG Looks nice! I just spent an hour playing mine through my Kemper. Sounds damn good. The finish on the back is really tacky where the print on my tshirt was coming into contact. Gummy and linty now. Eeew

38. Aug 14, 2017
  39. gtrjunior Wannabe

I got a chubbie just reading that....lol