Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2018 now with pre-cracked headstocks!

3033CAFD-11FA-4E04-BAB4-000D649D8475.jpeg

Maybe Henry should've put all those self tuning guitar engineers on a project to figure out how to redesign the headstock of the LP. Maybe some carbon fiber reinforcement that could be marketed as space age tone stabilizer.

Maybe Henry should've put all those self tuning guitar engineers on a project to figure out how to redesign the headstock of the LP. Maybe some carbon fiber reinforcement that could be marketed as space age tone stabilizer.
Thats not a bad idea actually...

I’m honestly surprised that Gibson hasn’t just switched to a truss rod design that doesn’t use a huge nut, like every other maker has done for decades, and claimed it’s innovative.

Actually a pair of splines on either sid
I’m honestly surprised that Gibson hasn’t just switched to a truss rod design that doesn’t use a huge nut, like every other maker has done for decades, and claimed it’s innovative.

What eould Be so hard about putting two splines of a denser material on either side of the truss rod Channen into the actual headstock? That’s kinda elementary woodworking.

Actually a pair of splines on either sid

What eould Be so hard about putting two splines of a denser material on either side of the truss rod Channen into the actual headstock? That’s kinda elementary woodworking.

I’m not sure that wouldn’t be worse. Part of the problem with Gibson headstocks is the huge nut taking out too much wood. Adding reinforcing rods would take away even more wood and that might just make it even weaker.

I should point out that I know zilch about engineering or how to fix the headstock issue. I just know maybe they should get someone who does to look into it.

Of course, not dropping your Gibsons works really well too. I've never broken a headstock and I've had Gibson guitars for the last 30 years.

I still have FOUR. Imagine the horror.
Shit happens sometimes, but with all of the mayhem of my working life as a guitarist I've never had this problem with either of my Les Pauls either. On the other hand I am very careful with those guitars because of this. I wonder how many broken headstocks happen because someone left their Les Paul on a guitar stand and their dog knocked it over.

Shit happens sometimes, but with all of the mayhem of my working life as a guitarist I've never had this problem with either of my Les Pauls either. On the other hand I am very careful with those guitars because of this. I wonder how many broken headstocks happen because someone left their Les Paul on a guitar stand and their dog knocked it over.

More than once I've come into my office and found a guitar knocked over by the damned Roomba. I thought I'd closed the door well enough (to keep the cats out) but R2D-bag came along on his scheduled rounds, pushed it open and wreaked a tiny bit of havoc. Luckily I haven't had any casualties yet.

Back