Gibson Custom Shop Brian Ray ’63 SG in Silver Fox

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://rebel-guitars.com/preowned-gibson-custom-shop-brian-ray-63-sg-in-silver-fox-br073/

gibson-brian-ray-sg.jpg

Here is a slightly preowned 2015 Gibson Custom Shop Brian Ray Signature ’63 SG Guitar in Silver Fox, ser#BR073 of only 100 built. Features include; Mahogany body and neck, Silver Fox finish, 57 Classic humbucker at the bridge and a Burstbucker 1 at the neck, Bigsby B5 Vibrate so you can swap from tremolo to stoptail anytime you want. Excellent condition. Comes with OHSC and COA. Great price!

gibson-brian-ray-63-sg.jpg

Overview
When Brian Ray was the musical director and guitarist for Etta James in 1973, the Gibson SG, introduced 12 years earlier as a replacement for the Les Paul (which was discontinued in 1960), had morphed from a somewhat misunderstood œnew guitar, to an iconic guitar design and sound in the rock-and-roll world.

Since that time, Brian Ray and the Gibson SG have both become rock staples. Brian has shared the stage with the who™s who of rock-and-roll elite, including Keith Richards, Peter Frampton, Rita Coolidge, and since 2002, as guitarist for Sir Paul McCartney. And, including Brian Ray, the SG has been a staple for guitar luminaries from Eric Clapton to Frank Zappa, George Harrison, Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Derek Trucks, and so many more.

Brian wanted to collaborate with Gibson Custom on a Gibson SG that was a lightweight, fast neck, screaming tone monster, with added flexibility in tone and playability that meets his versatile needs for the most critical and demanding performances.

Starting with the Bigsby B5 Vibromate tailpiece, the player can switch from Bigsby to stop tailpiece as quickly as one can change their strings.

Brian chose a Gibson BurstBucker 1 pickup for the neck position, matched up with a Gibson ’57 Classic in the bridge position. This creamy combination of rich, punchy lows and sweet chimey highs has to be experienced live. Routing both pickups through a hand-wired assembly featuring Gibson Historic Bumblebee capacitors gives a sweet vintage presence to all pickup positions.

Add two Push/Pull pots to switch from Series to Parallel Humbucking tonalities, a ’60s SG profile neck for comfort and speed, Kluson Deluxe Reissue tuning machines to the unique hand-applied Gibson Silver Fox nitrocellulose lacquer finish and you have an SG for all seasons, designed in conjunction with one of the all-time great rock guitarists, who has seen and done it all.

The Gibson Custom Shop Brian Ray SG is a very special acquisition as there will only be 45 for all of North America. A very special Certificate of Authenticity and a vintage interior Gibson Hardshell Case accompany every Gibson Brian Ray SG.

• Body Shape: Double Cutaway
  • Body Type: Solidbody
  • Body Wood: Mahogany
  • Body Finish: Gloss
  • Neck Wood: Mahogany
  • Joint: Set-in
  • Scale Length: 24.75″
  • Trussrod: Standard
  • Neck Finish: Gloss
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Radius: 12″
  • Fret Size: Vintage-Style
  • Number of Frets: 22
  • Inlays: Trapezoid
  • Nut Width: 1.687″
  • Neck Pickup: BurstBucker 1
  • Bridge Pickup: ’57 Classic
  • Controls: 2x Vol, 2x Tone (2 Push/Pull-Series to Parallel)
  • Bridge Design: ABR-1
  • Tailpiece: Bigsby B5
  • Tuning Machines: Kluson Deluxe
  • Hardware: Nickel
  • Case: Hardshell Case
  • Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity
$3995.00 + Shipping

That's my second favorite look for an SG. The first is a TV Yellow on with the same small guard (61/62 reissue) and then this with the white guard. Third would be the Tweedy. It just looks really nice with the aged hardware, binding, and inlays.

I'm not happy about that last sentence, but in this case I don't think I'd like it nearly as much with shiny new chrome hardware.:shrug:

I am so in love with this, but I know I can get the same look much cheaper and not have to explain who the guy is. That's easily the best signature SG I have ever seen.

Calling all Japanese knock-off companies, yeah I am looking at you Edwards!
Make this for me!

Back