Gibson 2016 - It appears that they were wrong...

You shouldn't buy a new Gibson. You shouldn't buy a used Gibson. You shouldn't even touch a Gibson. It would be best if you didn't look at one.

I propose we have the forum software change any mention of the G*bson family of brands to "Skanky McKnucklefucker". Any pictures of a Skanky McKnucklefucker should be deleted and the poster put on a six-week temp ban. We have to send a message. This is serious business.

Last edited:
You shouldn't buy a new Gibson. You shouldn't buy a used Gibson. You shouldn't even touch a Gibson. It would be best if you didn't look at one.

I propose we have the forum software change any mention of the G*bson family of brands to "Skanky McKnucklefucker". Any pictures of a Skanky McKnucklefucker should he deleted and the poster put on a six-week temp ban. We have to send a message. This is serious business.

What kinda pansy ass shit is this? Temp ban? Permaban. And we ship tompetty to the offender's house to live with them. The only respite is if some other asshole buys a Skanky McKnucklefucker. Then tompetty gets shipped to that asshole's house. That'll learn 'em.

What kinda pansy ass shit is this? Temp ban? Permaban. And we ship tompetty to the offender's house to live with them. The only respite is if some other asshole buys a Skanky McKnucklefucker. Then tompetty gets shipped to that asshole's house. That'll learn 'em.

Yes. And then your mother falls in love and elopes with tompetty and they insist that you call him "Dad".

I'm good with Tom Petty.

Dig up John Watt OTOH, and I wouldn't even look at a Gibson advertisement.

Just getting a PM from that guy was creeptastic enough.

serious question:

What was the last year (or era) that Gibson's production-line guitars (not custom shop) were heralded by most as exceptional instruments, in the aggregate?

serious question:

What was the last year (or era) that Gibson's production-line guitars (not custom shop) were heralded by most as exceptional instruments, in the aggregate?

Serious answer:

I don't think you can judge any guitar manufacturer by year. You have to judge each individual example. Some manufacturers have higher tolerances than others. But to say this year or that year like it's a wine is not an advisable practice.

As much as I hate HJ I still can't help but lust for a good SG Standard and a nice 335.
In matching Roy Orbison black please.
But it's just a long time GAS I've had, from way back before the Internet even.
No way I'll buy new, but if the right used one falls in my lap I prob won't be able to help myself.
You can't ban me for improper thoughts can you?
Ok, then I'll go with Yamaha SA and SBG.

Serious answer:

I don't think you can judge any guitar manufacturer by year. You have to judge each individual example. Some manufacturers have higher tolerances than others. But to say this year or that year like it's a wine is not an advisable practice.
that's why I said "in the aggregate." of course there will be excellent and miserable examples from any year or era. But when was the last period when you can say that a Gibson guitar was probably going to be among the finest guitars produced? Sure, in the age of the small-shop luthier, the modern era skews the analysis a bit. For me, I'd have to say early 60's, which is a long time to ride your own coattails.

And I say this as someone who owns 2 modern-era Gibsons.

I remember watching an interview with Pete Townshend where he talks about Gibson wanting to use his him for an endorsement deal for a signature run of LPs.

At the time, he explained that he refused, because the quality was so different between guitars coming off the line.
He said he could go down the production line, and pick 4 random examples. 3 were absolute shit, and 1 was a keeper.
Judging from his hairstyle, I think this interview was given sometime in the late 70's, early 80's.

Now, I know he puts out a signature Gibson acoustic, and he may have changed his tune to the LP models, but I thought it was interesting.

I think Gibson can make a great guitar. I think they often do make a great guitar. I think the company has lost its way, with a CEO more interested in lifestyle brands and unwanted innovation than perceived product value and quality. If they just tried to make the best guitars possible they would be fine. Of course, people would still hate them based on cost, but at least they would be respected. In the late 2000's Gibson was doing really well with products and overall QC. I played around 50-60 new LP standards/traditionals and didn't find a single dog or guitar with issues. I ended up just buying one online that I liked, and it too is flawless. This was in 2008-9. Back then, the big complaints were the cost of LPs relative to other production line guitars, and the chambering/weight relief and how it relates to not using rain forest wood that stopped being available in the 60's. Only old growth Honduran mahogany will work (lol). I'm sure they made some shitty guitars from the 2008-9 years, but I didn't really see any. Perhaps the local stores here sent back the crap, or maybe they were lucky, or maybe Gibson was making good guitars. I've certainly seen a ton of QC issues on the web, but I think those represent a small number of total output. At 3K pricing, any issues are pretty bad.

Last edited:
Last weekend when I was in Nashville I played a whole bunch of vintage J45/50s, because I've been GASing for them for years. Some were dogs, some were okay, and a few were REALLY good. If I had found one that wowed me, I probably would have taken it home. But I'm definitely not interested in a new production model and even looking at vintage ones I thought, "Do I really want a vintage one considering how shitty most Gibsons are these days? I try to convince my students they should spend their money more wisely, so wouldn't I be a hypocrite to even buy a used one?"

The absolutely shallow part of me hates, HATES that my Les Pauls don't say Gibson. But I have two Epi Les Pauls I love.

What does burn my ass was I had an 80s Les Paul in the chainsaw case that I s0ld that I kinda wish I had back.

For the money a Gibson Les Paul costs, I'd rather buy a PRS Singlecut.

Back