Gibson 2015

Just took a look and I don't like it.

Not sure why they dance around with all source of double cut guitars they call the LP Special, but they can't just make this. It's not that hard.

If people would buy them at full price year after year they would. The regular Gibson lineup is just what sells well enough to justify the costs.

Has anybody else actually gotten their hands on a '15 Gibson?

The necks are TERRIBLY WIDE.

I would never buy one. They're way too freakin' wide for me.

The nut/headstock thing may be a reflection.

The nut itself may or may not be a cool idea. I like the idea of the zerofret, now we have to see how their interpretation of it works.

The Pup ring is terrible though.

Gibson didn’t kill all of the sub $1,000 guitars. I got the new AMS catalog and they’ve brought back the 60s Tribute SG at $849 and the LP junior at $899. They only come in burst finishes now, which should nip complaints about those crappy thin finishes that rub off. Still no J series. The LPM is back but now it’s $1,149.

I kinda look upon all changes Gibson makes as attempts to isolate the impact their unskilled labor has on the instrument. The people building that $3759 Les Paul Standard aren't trained luthiers, they aren't even apprentices, but just taught to operate the machinery on an assembly line for low wages. Labor-wsie and corner-cutting wise, I would stay modern Gibson is worse than the Norlin years, they just have CNC routers and Plek machines to make up the deficit.

While I should appreciate the Gibson knows they need corrective measures, I would prefer to just buy a guitar from someone who took the time to train their employees to know how to do it right. Thankfully, I haven't been in the market for a new guitar in more than a decade.

that $3759 Les Paul Standard a.

There are so many great instruments being built for that or less these days that unless you "have to have" a Gibson its a no brainer to shop the other companies that make similar instruments. Or just buy a used one.

There are so many great instruments being built for that or less these days that unless you "have to have" a Gibson its a no brainer to shop the other companies that make similar instruments. Or just buy a used one.
Only a Gibson is good enough.

Not to mention what you can get for a little more. If I had $3750 for a Les Paul I’d spend another $100 and get a Kauer.

Ugh. What an awful slogan for a company that regularly turns out instruments that's are barely set up or defective.

To be fair, the slogan predates WWII...

BannerJohnThomasEDit2_1.jpg

Tough crowd. Lol.
I think the things that really pissed me was @grover's Les Paul with the finish flaking off in large patches and how they handled him as well as another student of mine who had a left handed custom shop CS-336 that was shipped with a broken truss rod. A 336 is one giant piece of wood so its a hugely expensive guitar to make..the neck and the body come from one large blank. And they couldn't make sure that the truss rod worked before they shipped him his $6000 guitar?

I think the things that really pissed me was @grover's Les Paul with the finish flaking off in large patches and how they handled him as well as another student of mine who had a left handed custom shop CS-336 that was shipped with a broken truss rod. A 336 is one giant piece of wood so its a hugely expensive guitar to make..the neck and the body come from one large blank. And they couldn't make sure that the truss rod worked before they shipped him his $6000 guitar?

Was the rod broken or just defective?

Back