GFS "gold foil" pickups

I've been looking at those too.

I'm intrigued, but wary.
Not to get into the pro/cons of GFS, just not too sure if those pickups are worth the bother.
The old gold foils really weren't that good, all nostalgia aside...

Totally true, but then I love the DeArmond in my Harmony.

The DeArmonds are a whole different animal. Most gold foils were those cheap ass Teisco pickups.

One review on another forum said the model with ferrite magnet is actually pretty similar to the originals but the other models were regular pickups with a cute cover.

I'm dubious. And Im a fan of some of their pickups. To me it appears nothing like the originals except maybe the covers. Not made like them anyway. Gold foils were not P90 or Humbuckers sized. Much thinner. The GFS ones are probably in reality an improvement, certainly in construction and quality of materials. Sound?idn_smilie

It's me but something about GFS, pass...

I've used their parts and they are decent, no complaints. Wilkinson bridges and tuners, jackplates, string trees, pots, etc.

I have GFS lipsticks in an old parts tele and like em. They sound like the original Danos to my ears.
Liked em well enough I just ordered one for the soundhole in my cheap little Gretsch parlor guitar, mainly because the tele neck pickup I had in my parts drawer didnt really fit. The mounting screw holes wern't quite far enough apart. The strat spacing on the lipstick should be about right.

I have a lil Killer rail in my recent Esquire build and its just ok. I got the med hot one. Its a little too humbuckery but it does good rock tones.
Should have ordered the vintage wind I guess.

Ive never had a prob with GFS products or service. My only gripe is their shipping charges are a little excessive so if I place an order I try to get more than just one thing I need. Their add copy is over the top, but basically factual if you overlook the bullshit. What you have to be careful of is what they don't tell you more so than what they aggrandize about. Like these gold foils. You get no specs on how they are actually made.

I bought a pair of the humbucker sized alnico single coils in chrome during their black friday sale. Now I'm looking for the right guitar to drop them in or I may build one...:messedup:

I've tried several GFS pickups and a bridge. None of it was terrible but none of it stayed on the guitars, either.

The bridge had what I consider a really flawed design. The arm was held in by only a plastic friction washer and a set screw to tighten it. When you play a guitar, it vibrates. Vibration has a way of making set screws loosen up. The arm was constantly falling out and pissing me off.

I think a lot of the stuff has a place on project guitars and for people wanting to try ideas without committing a lot of money. Sometimes you strike gold that way. It's not like those old Silvertone/Danelectro lipsticks were considered magical high-quality pickups when they were being made.

I just picked up a Peavey Limited HB, and I couldn't help but notice the similarities with the Tagliare - same style bridge, 12" radius fretboard, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob. Even the oversized strap button is similar. Looks like a cool guitar.

I’m sure a lot of kids are going to slap those in cheap used Squiers and Epis to get Auerbach tones without spending $300 for a Teisco.
I have a Teisco Del Rey on layaway (sounds nice said a few times). Cheesy sounding, in a nice way. Light as a feather.

There are sound samples on offsetguitar forum and the ferrite single coil ones sound pretty good to me. They a/b'd then against a couple different actual goldfoils.

Edit: found the sound samples
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums...sid=f085fe1ba199bd2fe221e595ec3e815f&start=90

I just put a pair of them in my jazzmaster about thirty minutes agoand I'm digging them. They sound great clean and with a little dirt they sound wonderful. I'm amazed at the clarity each string retains. I can't compare them to an authentic goldfoil but the pickups do sound great.

Last edited:
Back