Getting out scratches in nickel cover

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
Well I messed up... Trying to remove the corrosion on the nickel covers of my PRS Dragon 2's that are currently in residence in my CE 24. I tried just a paper towel and some mild run of the mill cleaner (think windex) and it worked to some extent. The neck pickup had some spots that weren't coming out so I tried an abrasive scrubbing pad.

Not good. I thought it was going to be more like a plastic pad but there must be some steel wool in there because I now have a spot on my shiny pickup that looks like brushed nickel. :eek:thwap0

So, any suggestions for polishing that scratched area back to it's original shiny brilliance? It's not terrible but it does look lame.

Thanks for any suggestions.

The only way to remove the scratches out is to take the pickup apart and buff out the scratches with a buffing wheels on a grinding tool and then polish the top. If you don’t already have the tools it’s probably cheaper to replace the pickup. If PRS pickups aren’t potted after the cover is installed you might be able to just replace the cover.

The only way to remove the scratches out is to take the pickup apart and buff out the scratches with a buffing wheels on a grinding tool and then polish the top. If you don’t already have the tools it’s probably cheaper to replace the pickup. If PRS pickups aren’t potted after the cover is installed you might be able to just replace the cover.

I was thinking about replacing the cover... may be an inexpensive option. Or move to new pickups. The Dragon 2's seem to be a bit muddy, middy etc... To get the higher end "edge" I want I have to EQ the heck out of my tone in the loop.

Going to create a new post regarding Dragon 2's and good replacements...

Thanks jp_nyc. :thu:

Back