George Benson

Scott_Abene

Resident Noodge
So when I was 20-21 I had the pleasure of being George Benson's Guitar Tech. This covered George, Michael O'Neill and bassist Stanley Banks.

I had to bust my ass for these guys day after day. Yet, I got to see them all play and I learned a lot from them back in 1985 and 1986.

A month or so ago I found out that they were playing in Portsmouth, NH at the Music Hall. Michael O'Neill set my up with Orchestra Seats and all the good things that come with it.

George was sick as a dog and had been in the hospital this morning because he had lost his voice. You would never know it. He kicked ass! It amazes me that people of this caliber sound better than 95% of the musicians out there even when sick.

George sounded amazing. I am so used to seeing him from the back of the stage that it was even more amazing to see him from the front of the stage.

If you get the chance to catch George and his band, I can only say do it. There are so few on this level. The entire band is perfection.

10635724_10152788205593360_1342119039925559932_n.jpg

He is an entertaining and thoroughly impressive live performer, for sure.

He frustrates me in that his records are mostly shit, but that's the prince of being commercial, and I can't blame him for cashing checks.

I was a bit of a weirdo as a kid in the late 70's. I liked George Benson's guitar playing, and found it way more skillful, than Zeppelin or other of my friends' favorites. I disliked the late 70's string productions on the albums. But really enjoyed Weekend in LA as it was live and was not burdened by any of that synth string crap. I envy your connection with him. I would love to see him play if he came around.

He frustrates me in that his records are mostly shit, but that's the prince of being commercial, and I can't blame him for cashing checks.

Glad someone else said it. I spent some time trying to get into George Benson after seeing his name turn up in a lot of guitar magazines. Everything sounded like elevator music.

Glad someone else said it. I spent some time trying to get into George Benson after seeing his name turn up in a lot of guitar magazines. Everything sounded like elevator music.
Gotta listen to live stuff.

Check this out for instance. Not so much elevator music.

Back when I was in high school, I loved his old records on CTI - Bad Benson, White Rabbit, etc. . . I never did see him play live. I need to correct that.

I haven't listened to those recordings in years. Maybe I should stream them for free. :wink:

Back