WTF: Gene Simmons - Idiot or just good planning? He 'lives to make money'

He's definitely not an idiot. You don't make hundreds of millions in the music/entertainment industry by being an idiot.

Whether you like the guy and his approach to life or not is a completely different question.

He is a clever guy. He's not on my list of most admired people, but he must be doing something right.

I think his best work was that movie with the little killer robots. :lol:

How much money will be enough? For some, there is no such thing as "enough", no matter how much is accumulated. Greed is an unquenchable disease.

I get what you're saying. At some point it should be about what you do with the money and not about the continued accumulation. I'm not even talking about benevolence, more about enjoying life. That said, some folks get no greater joy than accumulating money. I try not to judge, but I do think Gene is super creepy. I'd also like to see more people that make obscene amounts of money do more "good" for the greater good. Damned if I can say what that is, but a large amount of 1% don't give a shit about anything other than their money and their stuff. Their families often don't matter as much.

Reactions: Tig
Making money does not equal greed.

You can be a billionaire and not be greedy, or you can be dirt poor and be greedy.

You chose to inject further meaning to my statement since I never said nor implied that "making money equals greed".

Making money is making money. It is required to maintain responsibility like food is to maintain health. Gluttony is not healthy.
Being obsessed with making money is a disease. The acquisition of money beyond what a person could ever use, as well as their children, has become a religion of sorts. Even those who are not in the club follow it devoutly. Why do so many middle class earners protect their wealthy idols?

Thankfully, people like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates have encouraged others to give back to the world like they have. Accumulation is meaningless if you don't do something with it that benefits greatly.

How much money will be enough? For some, there is no such thing as "enough", no matter how much is accumulated. Greed is an unquenchable disease.

I kind of think along those lines, too.
I'm not passing judgement on the man, nor do I know how involved he is in any outreach type of programs, but if he concentrated a bit more on helping people/charities out, rather than the "Me, me, me" attitude, he could do a lot of good in this world.

Reactions: Tig
I kind of think along those lines, too.
I'm not passing judgement on the man, nor do I know how involved he is in any outreach type of programs, but if he concentrated a bit more on helping people/charities out, rather than the "Me, me, me" attitude, he could do a lot of good in this world.

Simmons is generous and gives back a lot more than many celebrities. He's private/discreet about that, and he doesn't put his name on hospital wards or anything. More than anything, I think that he enjoys cultivating his public persona, and gets a kick out of that.

Gene is a marketing machine. It is what he likes to do and just so happen makes money from it.

I have never met him but he does seem like a really cool dude.

If Gene were half as greedy as he pretends to be he’d have a lot more money than he does.

He took an average at best rock band and helped turn them into a marketing machine.

Not that great of a musician or writer, but he should be writing business books instead.

He gives a bad name to all the genuine, authentic artists in the music business.

He should be sealed ALIVE (II?) inside one of his KISS coffins.

This so stupid. Who gives a shit how much money Gene has, wants, or will earn?

Listen to Paul McCartney's interview on the Nerdist Podcast. He flat out says the Beatles did what they did for the money. As did David Gilmour in a different interview. Grow up. It's their job. It's how they earn a living. They're all assholes too right?

Mr. @Peen Simmons is sugesting he should be killed, or somehow sullies the music business for being successful? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Back