Gear purchases for 2014

emmaporkchop

The face of emmaporkchop
So it was a pretty good year:
4 basses (kept 3, got a '78 Fender Jazz off of CL for $120 and parted it out)
3 guitars
1 Markbass LM II amp
1 2x12 bass cab
1 2x10 bass cab
1 GK head for leaving at practice
1 Roland VS1880
Several pedals I took back after a few days
3 bands quit

How was your year?

I think I got the Muse Burst this year. The I also got the Neo and the Trinity 12-string this year. Throw in the new MIDI controller, and that is a lot for me in a year.

McFeely 454, Holland Lil Jimi amp, a pair of Mackie SRM450 speakers and a bunch of pedals.

G&L Tribute Ascari GTS
I think I got my Ibanez TSA15H amp head this year...along with a cabinet...
A pile of pedals...

Wampler Velvet Fuzz - The smooth and warm fuzz I've always seeked.
EHX Soul Food - It is just OK by itself but stacks nicely with a low gain overdrive.
Catalinbread Echorec - Very nice tones but I use only one. I'll likely sell it for a bargain price if anyone is interested. $180 via paypal including shipping. They run $230 new.
TC Electronic Flashback Delay - This is exactly what I've been looking for in a delay. Really cool accurate models and a huge sweep in delay time.

Squier CV 50's Tele
14926335691_ac30b4502b_c.jpg

And oh, dat neck!
14926335661_3da0b4be84_b.jpg

Been rig upgrade/replacement year for me - a very good one at that.

Victory V30 head (holy shit, I love that thing)
VOX AC30 (upgraded from the AC15)
Chapman ML1 "superstrat", surprisingly good workhorse guitar.
Boss ME80 multieffect thingy. Finally upgraded the ancient GT3. :embarrassed:
Warm Audio WA12 mic preamp. :love:
New set of Shure earbuds for IEM. Yep, I'm a convert.
Analogman Beano booster - perfect for the (older) Brian May sound with the AC30.

Various accessories, like new guitar stand, bunch of cables, drum heads and various guitar parts for modding, a few plugins (love the Native Instruments' annual Black Friday sale). Yeah, that's about it I think.

This was my slowest year for gear in as long as I can remember.

Sold one guitar and one bass. Bought nothing.
Bought one pedal.
Sold one amp (Gretsch Playboy - due to a financial emergency) bought one amp (AC15C1 w/ Celestion Blue speaker).

That's it.

Some pedals for 2014
BB Soulvibe (New)
DanElectro Daddy-O Overdrive (Used)
Line 6 MM4 Delay (Used)
TC Electronics Flashback (Used)

2 - Egnator Tweaker 12" open back cabs. Got rid of the Egnator grill and logo along with the Celetion 30 for Marshall Cloth and a Celestion Vintage 60 Neodym Speaker

Ovation Mandolin with case

2 - Alesis Powered Monitors from the SDofTD

Outside of all this...Just standard stuff: a second Capo, some picks, strings

What is gone? Stolen guitars - Danelectro DC3 and Memphis TV-100 (Penguin Guitar) with cases.

Instruments
Epiphone Thunderbird - sounds great but horribly unbalanced so it’s on Craigslist.
Squier P-bass - sounds ok but it’s crazy loud. I set it up in C# with the strings so low they bounce off the frets when I hit a note and it’s tons of fun to play.
Schecter C-1 Blackjack - I bought this beater from Guitar Center’s web site. It’s beat to hell and missing some parts. But it was cheap and it sounds and plays fine. One of these days I’m going to replace the tuners and electronics.
Pedals
Big Muff - got this one because I got sick of fuzz pedals lacking balls and I’m not paying for a boutique fuzz.
Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pro - a great deal for the price.

That’s about all.

• Tonerider TRT2 Hot Classics Tele pickups to replace the microphonic ones in my Yamaha Pacifica 402S
  • NUX PMS-2 Midi Switcher
  • Chinese knock off of a One Spot with a six way splitter and female to male adapter to drive my old DOD DFX9 Delay pedal.
  • Various parts for a rebuild and a partsocaster neither of which are finished yet.

I bought a couple of Snark Tuners and this bad ass Hofner club guitar. That is it so far, but I suspect there is more gear on the way for the X-mas season.

hofner-guitars-club-solid-hct-cs10-635792.jpg

didn't buy a single piece of gear (but didn't touch a guitar for nearly the entire year, nor did i visit this forum). Every time Tiltsta posts that Hofner, i get GAS though.

I bought parts for my new build. That's about it for this year.
Next year will likely be even slower. Apart from some pedals, I'm about set up.
Well, maybe I'll build just one more guitar..

Getting free gear has really killed the joy of gear for me. That and doing gear demos for compulsive neurotics who play cowboy chords all day long has really brought home the age old concept that music is in your brain and your hands, not inanimate objects. Seeing one of my favorite jazz-blues-fusion guitarists up close making a Hot Rod DeVille sound like a Dumble was exhibit A.

Back