GC Layaway

Alex W

Pork and Beans connoisseur
We have been messing around in Columbus all week since I have been on vacation so I decided to stop in Sam Ash, and GC. They had a set of Ludwig signet drums on sale for 699, they are normally 1049 or so. I could tell they had been demo's for a while. I asked if they had a different color (which they didn't) and I also asked about their layaway policy. 30% down and the balance has to be paid in 30 days. Wow not much of a layaway policy. She was supposed to ask her manager about getting them from another store in alpine blue. She disappears for five minutes comes back and says absolutely nothing about the color she was supposedly checking on. I was informed that warehouse space was precious and that I was lucky they had layaway at all. "it's really awesome that we can do this for you".

I decided to just get a Mapex set that I've had my eye on but I'll be buying it at Zzounds. I can't deal with sales associates any more.

On the plus side all the sales people at Sam Ash completely ignored me, which was fine with me. The drums at Sam Ash are all stacked on shelfs so you have to have someone set them up to test a kit out which is kind of a pain but the people there are more knowledgeable than your average GC college student.

Things have gone downhill so far since I worked there. Admittedly, that was 14 years ago.

It depends on which store you go to, though. I got my blue EBMM Sterling SUB AX4 at the Totowa, NJ, store. I put it on layway (the original salesguy only asked me for 20%) and then when I went to trade in a couple old, unused pedals and a keyboard somebody gave me that I never even opened, the one kid that was helping me knew his stuff and was rattling off model numbers and factoids while the other kid was really nice but didn't know much (tried to use the effects loop return of a POD HD500X as the output to the amp for another customer).

When I go there with actual intent to purchase, I kinda stalk around and pick my salesperson.

Back