Gave myself a challenge today

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
Been having a bit of a writer's block for several months now.

Today, I had given myself a challenge to write, record a scratch track and mix it. In 4 hours. :eek:

Well, I did it. :grin:

15 minutes with a guitar, figuring out the chords/time signatures, then doing everything in 1 take.
Only prerequisite was it was going to be some pop/rock stuff with some sort of odd time signature thing.

Drum sound was pretty much the Zoom Q3 about 5 feet in front of the kit.
MD421 on the electrics, Studio Projects on the acoustic. Victory V30 for the distorted gtrs, AC30 for the slightly overdriven Tele.

Some minor things I want to change chord wise, but already know what to do there.

Think I'm going to be doing a whole lot more of writing this way, something about committing to something without overthinking things. Think I've got a decent base for this tune. :wink:

Recording it properly tomorrow, and then adding lyrics/vocals. :)

Linky:
https://app.box.com/s/hg8swg0jz28vv08cr75i

I fear commenting in your threads because you've had a tendancy of jumping down my throat....

I appreciate the forced writing...It really can work....

I've often found that my writing,melody combination, that comes from a tragedy,(if you will),or some sort of major excitement in your life makes a tune come much easier....

Listened again...very nice flow....easy on the ears.......

I admire someone that can come up with a tune and add the words later..

I've always had to have them come at the same time or else they stayed instrumentals....

I fear commenting in your threads because you've had a tendancy of jumping down my throat....

I appreciate the forced writing...It really can work....

I've often found that my writing,melody combination, that comes from a tragedy,(if you will),or some sort of major excitement in your life makes a tune come much easier....

Sorry about that the other weekend. A combination of way too much drinking and a bit of a rough time privately. I generally don't lash out at people like that.

As for the writing, I know I often work best under pressure, so giving myself a deadline is definitely a way of getting stuff done. I'm a kickass procrastinator. :grin:

Had to practice the alternating 7/8 and 4/4 a bit, that was a bit weird. :embarrassed:

Listened again...very nice flow....easy on the ears.......

I admire someone that can come up with a tune and add the words later..

I've always had to have them come at the same time or else they stayed instrumentals....

I'm used to writing that way actually. Often I come up with the rhythm tracks in several of my bands, and then the lead singer does the lyrics (he should always sing his own words imo). The music does come a lot more naturally to me rather than the lyrics though. :embarrassed:

That's killer!
I need to figure out some way to jump start my lyric writing. I can bust out music all day long, but I can't write one goddamn word.

That's killer!
I need to figure out some way to jump start my lyric writing. I can bust out music all day long, but I can't write one goddamn word.

:)
Yeah writing lyrics is a proper bitch. Think I've got something like 20 or so lyric-less songs at the moment.
Giving myself a deadline of this song to be finished in a week. Even if the lyrics suck. :grin:

It's the getting started thing that's the major obstacle for me. Once I get going I go blazingly fast. :embarrassed:

Those Zoom recorders kick fucking arse btw. Decent drum take in 5 minutes with no soundcheck.
Killer for getting ideas down fast before you forget them. :)

Wow....Sorry for giving you my honest opinion,(and I do respect you), but that's right up there with some of the most cheesiest musical ideas of all time....

And once again,nothing personal and no disrespect at all......It's just that what ever happened to singing,(writing), from the heart? Not ,formulated,but natural

Last edited:
I'm not saying that it's not great because frankly I wouldn't know...

Perhaps it works for some...

I'm just such a huge fan of people that write from the heart and mind and soul and bla,bla,bla...

Once again,not putting anyone down....

Maybe I need to talk to Frank...........

I'm not saying that it's not great because frankly I wouldn't know...

Perhaps it works for some...

I'm just such a huge fan of people that write from the heart and mind and soul and bla,bla,bla...

Once again,not putting anyone down....

Maybe I need to talk to Frank...........

There's nothing in that book that precludes one from writing "from the heart and mind and soul...". All it does is show you how to get it onto the page.

When Gillian Welch writes the forward to your book and is one of your former Berklee students, you're doing something really fucking right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's nothing in that book that precludes one from writing "from the heart and mind and soul...". All it does is show you how to get it onto the page.
But once again.....

Before it gets on the page it has to be transferred from the mind,to the mouth,to the fingers or recorder.......It doesn't magically show up there on its own........

Anyway...Sorry for wasting time with stupid idle thoughts......

Have a good evening all......We're all friends here............

Back