Gathering parts to redo the Focus' sound system

Steverino

black sheep
Love the car. Hate the sound system. My car is the ST1, which means the sound system is the base setup, no amp, no sub, crap speakers in the doors, a head unit that rolls off the bass at higher volumes to protect those cheapo speakers. This will be a moderate upgrade, no serious power or crazy amp setups, pimped out LED arrays or no room to haul even a gallon of milk.

Nowadays, you can't really rip out the head unit and throw your favorite Pioneer in there (though that's changing already). In my case, I don't really want to take it out anyway, since it's tied into my Sync system and steering controls. I do no have the Nav/MyFordTouch in this car. Not having this extra stuff may make this job easier.

The work will have to be done in stages since I don't think I can do all of this in one weekend. I'm slow, too meticulous and get easily sidetracked so I'm going to start by replacing the speakers/tweeters in the doors. Back doors don't have tweeters so I'll be punching holes in the panels and adding crossovers.

Then, on to running the head unit's signals to a line converter that fixes the annoying bass rolloff, and to an amp or amps. I see now there are 5-channel amps, 4 for the speakers and 1 for the sub. That's an attractive route for me. Then, from the amp back up to the stock speaker wiring/sub, and running power.

The last thing I want is to have to rip seats and shit, so I'm hoping to do the ol' run-wires-along-the-doorsills thing like we've all done. I've been looking at videos and wirings from others who've already done this. I have yet to buy the 4 speakers and an amp, but I have all the new wiring, a line converter and the sub, a 2x10 enclosure. I want this all to look as factory/professional as I can make it.

Naturally, I waited till the hottest part of the year to get going on this. :embarrassed:

Back