GAS: I hate having no money edition

GilmourD

Eater of Worlds
Staff member
I'm GASing hard for a model 1987 circuit Marshall-type amp. You know, the 50-watt JMP circuit.

Problem is I don't have enough money to buy paper to print a picture of one right now.

But for when I do... I'm more than likely going to build a kit. I wish MetroAMP still did kits. Weber seems to have some really cost-effective kits (which I'd probably order without the PT and get a ClassicTone or something instead).

Any of you guys ever build a Marshall-type kit? What'd you get?

I have parts for one...

Marstran PT
NOS Mustards
Turretboard
Black flag JTM50 faceplate
Etc.

I was going to build a 1987/2204 hybrid and a seperate JTM45 (I have similar parts list for that), but I blew my project money last year on a '66 Super Reverb chassis and the two Marstran PT's and haven't been able to set anything else aside yet. As is, I thinking of selling projects and parts off as I don't have a pressing need for the amps.

Metro may not offer their kits anymore, but Valvestorm stepped in to gfill the void (including selling Metro chassis and iron), I think they even started offered everything in one-click. But George was haivng a hard time maintaining the $1K price for a 50-watt Metro kit years ago, most JMP kits will run you over that today plus your time to build one. You can buy a used 1987x for...what...$800?

This is why I love high-gain fuzz pedals. They sound the same no matter what amp I use.

maybe for a 1971 thru 1973 head.
the 1966 thru 1970 real plexi face amps are going for more than double that.
just sayin'

I can't tell if that sarcasm or not.
  • A '67-69 JMP 1987 will sell in the $4,000-10,000 range
  • A '71-73 well sell in the $2,000-3,000 range
  • A late '70's PCB, JMP 1987 now sells for an average $1500
My suggestion was a 1987x, in Marshalldom the "x" stands for "reissue." Close enough for rock and roll (pretty much identical circuit to a '70's JMP 1987) and a downright bargain, even when priced against kits. Plus it holds its value for resale better than kits (which usually resale for less than their unassembled cost). And this is coming from an amp builder.

I can't tell if that sarcasm or not.
  • A '67-69 JMP 1987 will sell in the $4,000-10,000 range
  • A '71-73 well sell in the $2,000-3,000 range
  • A late '70's PCB, JMP 1987 now sells for an average $1500
My suggestion was a 1987x, in Marshalldom the "x" stands for "reissue." Close enough for rock and roll (pretty much identical circuit to a '70's JMP 1987) and a downright bargain, even when priced against kits. Plus it holds its value for resale better than kits (which usually resale for less than their unassembled cost). And this is coming from an amp builder.
Well, part of my interest in the kit is that I just want to build something. Plus I'd probably end up modding it (like the shared cathode cap/resistor on V1, etc.).

Back