Gary Clark, Jr.

He runs the gamut from Eddie Kendricks style falsettos, to Chuck Berry, Jimmy Reed, Albert Collins to neo-soul linked together by his thumb print. There's nothing jarring about singing soulfully and playing guitar soulfully. I understand if that's too far out to grasp. I've heard other people say the same thing which is why I referenced it. Old school traditional blues was never played exclusively by blues artists. That's a contemporary construct that everyone got use to. B.B. King sang lots of R&B ballads in the 50's between straight blues numbers.

There are other blues rock records that came out this year that are easier to digest. You should check out the new Bonamassa record Different Shades Of Blues. It's not really different but it's easily digestible.

Every single thing you just said in that post has nothing to do with my criticism. Singing soulfully and playing guitar soulfully is not at all what I'm talking about. Both of those are reasons why I started listening to him long before you had any idea who he was. And I never said anything about him playing any old school traditional blues. I've never even seen him do that in the first place.

BB King's 50s R&B was a lot more in line with King's other stuff (and with Clark's blues rock, too) than the hyper-produced drum sample loop stuff that I'm referring to on Blak and Blu. It's funny you mentioned him playing them live because live they don't sound at all like the album. If they had recorded it like this, I wouldn't have said anything:

I started listening to him long before you had any idea who he was.

I don't think we hang out that much for you to know that. Wait for the live record. The jumps in genre you're concerned with sound seamless and give the set variety all in context. It also sounds better than Blak & Blu.

I don't think we hang out that much for you to know that. Wait for the live record. The jumps in genre you're concerned with sound seamless and give the set variety all in context. It also sounds better than Blak & Blu.

I believe I know you well enough to expect you weren't traveling to Austin back around 2001 to see local, mostly unknown blues guitarists. But feel free to prove me wrong. Now that I type it out, it does sound remotely possible.

Yeah, I do still need to check it out the new album. I suspect you're right that the genre changes will be more seamless. Using the same musicians and production from track to track will do that. As I mentioned already, the songs work better live IMO.

I believe I know you well enough to expect you weren't traveling to Austin back around 2001 to see local, mostly unknown blues guitarists. But feel free to prove me wrong. Now that I type it out, it does sound remotely possible.

Yeah, I do still need to check it out the new album. I suspect you're right that the genre changes will be more seamless. Using the same musicians and production from track to track will do that. As I mentioned already, the songs work better live IMO.

You'll see.

Back